Floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
Just looking for some advice please guys! Currently on with a single storey extension. The room currently has had a wall taken down by previous owner and a steel put in place to carry the floor joists above. I’m planning on opening up the wall that the steel sits into. So question is can I extend the joists and replace the steel 600/700mm further on, or would it mean leaving it where it is and bolting it to the new one in the opening? Just checking my options before builder gets back to me. Thanks

Attachments

• 2073229E-493C-4D67-ADDD-1927FA4D8B05.jpeg
    2073229E-493C-4D67-ADDD-1927FA4D8B05.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
You will need the beam recalculated to check it can still support the extra floor load.

Cheers woody. Providing the beam is sufficient to take the extra load is it acceptable to extend the joists by bolting another timber to the existing which would then sit on the steel. Say I bolt a 2metet length to the existing to span the extra 600mm or is it a full new joist job?

Any advice appreciated thanks

You wouldn't bolt new lengths on, unless using toothed connectors, which is not straightforward.
Better to fix with coach screws of a suitable diameter and length.

Sponsored Links
Great cheers tony just checking I was allowed to do that first but will go with coach screws. Thanks

Years ago on our first house we had to replace floor joists due to dry rot. I was advised to cut back at least a metre and then bolt a new length of joist with a sufficient overlap with at least 3 bolts set in to prevent movement. The floor has now been up at least 15 years with no sagging or movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back