Floor make up advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am hoping for some input regarding a floor make up.

I am converting an old block building in my garden into a summer room/occasional guest accommodation. Due to acquiring a door that is slightly too tall (but is saving a huge amount of money!), I only have 40mm to make up the floor from a slightly uneven, un-insulated 100ish mm concrete slab.

Originally I wanted level the floor, lay a DPM, 25mm celotex, caberfloor and then a laminate. However, the make up is going to be too thick.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

The best I have come up with so far is to self level, DPM, then use 12mm celotex, and then a 14mm floating engineered floor (with underlay??). However, i'm not sure how a floating floor would cope if laid directly onto 12mm celotex....Plus i have to build the studs off of it.

I know i have the option of digging out the floor, which is what i would do if it was in the house, however i quite frankly cant be bothered for a summer room so hoping to avoid it.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Can you cut the door down further, or have a step down to it with the rest of the floor higher?

I can take some off the door, but only a maximum of about 3 or 4mm off the top.

The room is only 13m2, so a step would be fairly invasive into the space. I had considered a gentle slope but decided it was too much hassle.

Sponsored Links
Carpet well for door then raise the rest .

I quite like this idea, however the door is 3m wide and runs the length of the room so the mat would take up a lot of the visible floor space. Not the end of the world, and something I will investigate further with the "customer"

I've done a fairly poor paint drawing to give an idea of the layout.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Summerhouse.png
    Summerhouse.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 168
100mm wise would take tiny floor space .
You forgot to mention it’s a sliding door.
You could mount the frame outside .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back