Floor of loft strong enough for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do,

So for years my Loft has been used for storage for alot of useless stuff, decided to clean it out just before Christmas and realised with a bit of work it could become a bedroom but i have been reading up and read that loft are only fitted with 'cealing joists' to hold the roof up, there not ment to be walked on but for years a fair amount of weight has been stored on top of plywood which wasn't even fitted to the floor it was sitting on top of the wood. There has been 2/3 people up there with all the junk up there and 3 people up there without all the junk and it seemed fine, so with Everything out and level flooring for B&Q/WICKES be even stronger or do i need to strengthen on a tight budget?

Also there wont be much up there, Just: - - - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S99887651 - - - With mattress and Me (10 stone) :p
- - - http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Gift-Ideas/buy-SOLARTRONIC-RECLINING-MASSAGE-CHAIR-Gift-Idea/636991 - - -

A 32 Inch TV on a Stand / Bracket

And a little few things here and there, Box's, Lamp, Speaker(s) etc.

Loft isn't huge like, living area is probably 3 meters by 2.5 meters..

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you need to comply with buildings regs on insulation fire escape ect as well as structural issues

your joists are likely to be 4x2"s you will need something like 8x2"

Search for "loft-conversion" in the building-forum.

i think reading just a few posts will eliminate the idea :

" with a bit of work it could become a bedroom ..."

and give some idea of the costs and difficulties usually encountered.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back