floor panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to run a cable through joists.but the floor is not floorboards but those stupid panels which i assume are tongue and groove.and are nailed not screwed,anyone know how to get them up.thanks

Sponsored Links
They are a b****r to get up.

I use a circular saw against a straightedge - a board that is wide enough to kneel on so it doesn't move - a spare piece of Contiplas is good.

Be very careful with the depth of cut because you don't know what is down there - CH pipes are often run in grooves in the joists. I would suggest you start at 15mm and gradually increase the depth unless you know how deep the panels are. Inaccessible bits near walls need a tenon saw.

The nails are also difficult to extract because they have concentric ridges to hold them in place. If you try to lever the panels they just disintegrate, so I usually chisel carefully around the heads to expose just enough to use a claw hammer to pull them out.

A saw with dust extraction makes life easier because you can see where you are going better.

thanks ratter,the a******e who thought it was a good idea to use these instead of floorboards, should be made to get them up 8 hours a day for life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back