Floor sander abrasive paper... how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please tell me how should you attach sheet sandpaper to a large orbital floor sander. I am trying to find a better solution than the local hire shop, as the results when using their machine are hit and miss.

They use a large scotchbrite red pad which sticks to the plastic stipples on the bottom of the machine, then they supply abrasive paper which they have glued back to back with 40 grit, so it has grip for the scotchbrite. Im pretty sure that this can’t be the correct method to stick the paper to the machine, but they tell me its what they have always done. Please can anyone tell me different?

Sponsored Links
Friction is our friend!

It does work. Honest. The only difficulty is getting the things central so they don't dance across the floor

Personally I tend to use the 36/ 40 grit "double disc" papers when removing latience from a levelling compound, not to sand wood. If I am using an orbital machine on wood, it would only be for fine finishing using a sanding screen (same principal of friction on the red pad).

The answer 'Tone' has given you is correct, it's like 'Hook'n'Loop' or 'Velcro' the principle's the same.Though, as he said you have to get it centred or it will go for a walk.The other alternative is a carborundum disc which attaches in the same way,these, like sandpaper may be had in various 'grits' 60/80/100 etc.If your hire co. can't supply them,try a floor sanding co.I'm sure you'll be able to source them somewhere in NZ,or are you somewhere "out by the burned stump" LOL.
mack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back