floor tile across ext jion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Floor tiling across kitchen concrete floor ext join. I understand there can be different floor movement as one has insulation and membrane and the other nothing. I'm having different advice. 1) Tile across join or 2) tile away from join and seal with flexible filler. So what is best. Thanks Ray

Sponsored Links
what do you mean solid floor meets ext join? is the insulation andmembrane is under a seperet solid floor?
or are you talking about interior and exterior slabs?you could put some photos up to help?

The original kitchen has concrete floor with no insulation or membrane. The kitchen extension floor is also concrete but this has membrane and insulation. Glad you asked for photo as lifted lino and where old wall was is damp or condensation? Whatcan I do there? Will try to download photo.

Attachments

• 20180110_081852.jpg
    20180110_081852.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 97
whats happening at the junction where the kit floor meets the dining room? damp could be coming up at all the edges of the old concete?
how much lower than the floor surface is the ground outside?
its more work but you could open up where the old wall was and show whats happening down there. maybe the damp is rising only in the old wall remaining brickwork with a shallow skim of concrete on top?
if you lay anything on damp itwill come back on you.

do you understand that laying tile with units in place you could end up trapping units and appliances.and afecting door swings.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. External level to DPC is fine. We mounted kitchen unit legs on wood to allow for laminate so room for tiles.

It's coming from old wall. It's just a skim over the old dpc cavity (270) wall. Think I have 3 choices: 1) some kind of brush on waterproofer before tiling. 2) remove 1 brick down of old wall - piece of dpc sheet across and up sides then cover with concrete - If I went for that option how long before we can tile over it (say 3" of concrete)? Option 3 - dpc sheet then laminate. Your thoughts please.

Decoupling mat, ditra for example.

And the correct flexible adhesive.

My father in law put them down so probably didn't do such a good job. He tiled straight into the concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back