floor tiles have become unstuck & lose grouting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

What should i do with lose floor tiles and where some of the grouting has become lose and disappeared?

is there a way to take the existing grout out and reapply grout or something to fix the tiles in place?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Why did the tiles become loose? You may need to sort a problem out.
You can rake the old grout out, take care you don't chip the tile edge, go to your diy shop & get a grout rake.
You will need to remove the adhesive from the floor & tile prior to relaying also

half the fllor is concrete (that's fine) and the other area seems to be wooden floor boards. think it's simply become loose as you can hear the floor creak underneath

so if i remove the grout, it's fairly easy to re-grout?

thanks

i'm afraid the floorboards are your issue. There is too much movement in them and they should have been over-boarded before the tiles were fixed.

If you refix then its likely they will either come up again, or if you use an S2 adhesive such as granfix ultimate flex, there is a fair chance they will crack.

An S2 addy has the best chance

Sponsored Links
sorry - don't understand. S2 addehive is the best chance but will also crack?!

MAY well do yes.

Basically tiling direct onto floorboards isn't a good start. If the whole floor was wood, i'd say remove all the tiles, overboard with a backerboard like no-more-ply, then retile. but half of your floor is on concrete and i'm guessing you dont want to take those up?

IF you dont want to start again, the only thing that MAY work is using an S2 adhesive.

the basic issue is that your floorboards are moving more than your adhesive\grout can stand. This movement is the reason you need to overboard. An S2 adhesive is a very flexible adhesive and with more than likely stick very very well, but the movement still happens and your tiles wont flex, they will crack.
You may get away with it if you have little enough movement and the tiles are up to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back