is it poor workmanship and what do i do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the bathroom was demo'd last week. the shower wall tile (border tiles) have small tiles that are miscentered. the 3x9 borders have a 5cm diamond shaped clear tile in the middle that has grout surrounding it. Evidently when the grout was placed, he did not go back to make sure that tiny tile was recentered amidst the grout surrounding it and it is now noticable way off center, and of course the grout has set.
***question #1.....can the grout be removed in that little area and new grout placed which will allow the opportunity to center that little diamond shaped clear tile without causing problems with cracking or leakage issues later? Can new grout be laid ontop of the grout just laid 5 days ago?

***question #2....the tile has grout lines where there is too much grout that spills over the tile. In some places, there is not enough grout, the ridge is too deep. The installer complained that the grout set too fast and in some places, he had to scrape it off.
question #2...can more new grout be laid over the existing grout or should I be concerned about whether it will not bond ok? He said it was because some tiles did not come out flush.

Sponsored Links
er... apart from this is a UK site, we could do with pics.

Get Mike Holmes onto it :D

Sponsored Links
No 1 - taking the grout out won't allow you to straighten the inserts. They will be stuck to the wall like the tiles. unlikely you will be able to re-set them without breaking the insert or chipping the tile.

We have insserts in one bathroom, I spent ages making sure they were straight beflre the adhesive went off.

***question #1.....can the grout be removed in that little area and new grout placed which will allow the opportunity to center that little diamond shaped clear tile without causing problems with cracking or leakage issues later? Can new grout be laid ontop of the grout just laid 5 days ago?

***question #2....the tile has grout lines where there is too much grout that spills over the tile. In some places, there is not enough grout, the ridge is too deep. The installer complained that the grout set too fast and in some places, he had to scrape it off.
question #2...can more new grout be laid over the existing grout or should I be concerned about whether it will not bond ok? He said it was because some tiles did not come out flush.

The installer comes across as being a muppet from your description of events!!
It is poor workmanship for sure.....if he was good they would have been cetralised and grouted correctly.

BRainy

is it just me being suspicious?

plumber new to the forum ONLY advising on tiling?

welcome back joe 90

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back