What do I need for small basin tiling job?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some tiles leftover from a shower, so will put them above my basin.

I've been looking at tile adhesive and grout, but wondering, for a small job do I need it? Could I just use something like No More Nails and use leftover silicone instead of grout? I have the silicone shaping tools for this. If I need proper tile adhesive and grout, will any type do? I don't need much, so looking at things like this: Evo-Stik EVO416505 Tile a wall adhesive & grout

Also, I will need to cut the tiles - they are 40cm long, and I'll need to trim to 31cm. Should my multitool with diamond blade but up to the task? I've never cut a tile before ...

these tiles, on that wall

IMG_20201218_103333834.jpg

IMG_20201218_103340438.jpg

IMG_20201218_104221733.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do it properly and tile the whole sink wall. Use proper adhesive & grout. What you are proposing will be a bodge and look rubbish IMO.

Not enough tiles for the whole wall, and not enough money to buy more tiles. We only want the area above the sink done.

It's all subjective (how things look in this case) however if it were me, I'd just use the whole tile as is i.e. don't bother cutting it. Assuming the basin is 31cm and you intend to use 1 x tile horizontally, you'd only have a 4.5cm overhang each side. Although not best practice, if you already have a 'sticks like sh1t' adhesive that's moisture resistant, it will hold the single tile. However if you're having to buy the adhesive you'd be as well buying a small tub of ready mixed tile adhesive. Edges can be grouted or again, if you already have the silicon, that can be used. If you do it properly, no reason why it needs to look like a bodge in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Basin is about 62cm wide, so 2 tiles. I think 9cm overhang might be OK ... yeah.
I have loads of adhesive - foam, gun gripfill type, small tube of No More Nails.
Will crack on with it, need to tick some more jobs off the list this weekend!

Basin is about 62cm wide, so 2 tiles. I think 9cm overhang might be OK ... yeah.
I have loads of adhesive - foam, gun gripfill type, small tube of No More Nails.
Will crack on with it, need to tick some more jobs off the list this weekend!
lol at myself, 31cm wide basin, head up my ar5e!! :) Yeah it'll look fine. A slight overhang is ok, water can often splash slightly either side anyway so it's all good.

I reckon I might be better off getting six 20cm tiles - will look nicer.... although, will still need to trim about 2cm off the bottom of them. But that will be covered with silicone..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back