Floor tiles lifting up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I've got a problem with my floor tiles lifting I wonder if you could offer some advice on what I should do.

Previous owner of my flat has tiled the ground floor where the door to the street is, for 4 years everything has been fine but recently the door has been getting stiff to open, it turns out this is because 4 or 5 tiles nearest the door have started lifting up. These tiles sound hollow if you knock on them.
Today I pried one of the tiles up, which wasn't difficult as the grout had cracked and I can see that the tile adhesive is still stuck to the back of the tile but then there is what looks like sand stuck to the adhesive and on the floor and the floor just looks like sharp sand to me.

Is it possible to lay tiles on top of sand like this? Or has some kind of reaction happened due to damp? The floor is Solid and i assume would be concrete, so im not sure if should try and scrape the sand away then skim with cement then grout on top of this.

thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Why not post a pic?
Is this a porch, a vestibule or entrance to a hallway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back