Floor tiling - Dot and Dab?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new kitchen installed before last summer and have now realised that our “builder” may have used the dot and dab technique when laying our porcelain floor tiles. The tiles are 600 x 600 and we’ve noticed that upon tapping some of the corners, there is a hollow sound; In other words, no adhesive! The builder appears to have just laid a large lump of adhesive in the middle of where the tile would sit and then placed the tile on top, applying pressure until it’s level with its neighbouring tile. This has resulted in approx a dozen tiles not being fully covered with adhesive. We brought this up with our builder and he said “he had to do this as the floor was not level”. The floor has a concrete screed and at no time did he make it known to us that it was not level. We’ve threatened him with taking legal action but as we did not draw up a contract with him before we started, we believe we wouldn’t have a leg to stand on.

It’s taught us a lesson but I would like to know how do I remedy this without taking up all the tiles? Can I fill in the gaps by removing the grouting and feeding in adhesive? Some of the grouting has cracked as there is a slight movement (we’ve heard a tile or two creak). It’s a shame this guy has done this as the rest of his tiling has been really good (some of the best I’ve seen).

Sponsored Links
Floor tiles should never have voids. As soon as someone drops something there is the risk of the tile smashing.

A decent "builder" would have known that...

If you are lucky, the "builder" won't have bothered used SBR/primer on the concrete. It may make it easier to lift the tiles. Expect a lot of breakages though, sorry.

Out of interest, how did you find the "builder".

Floor tiles should never have voids. As soon as someone drops something there is the risk of the tile smashing.

A decent "builder" would have known that...

If you are lucky, the "builder" won't have bothered used SBR/primer on the concrete. It may make it easier to lift the tiles. Expect a lot of breakages though, sorry.

Out of interest, how did you find the "builder".

He was recommended by a friend. She’s pretty embarrassed by the whole affair.

In response to flameport, I don’t think the floor was ever unlevel. I think it was just an excuse to cover his back. He told my wife that he had told me about it and he hadn’t. To add to the problem, we also had underfloor heating fitted.

Sponsored Links
If they’re all laid, and grouted, and not actually broken, aren’t you better seeing how you get on rather than ripping the whole lot up? If someone does drop something on an unsupported bit of tile and breaks it, replace it at the time?

Edit: ok didn’t see the bit about cracked grout and tiles “creaking” :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back