Floorboard colour difference - How to even up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
iT46Vvc

Hello,
The lighter bit of the wood had really thick old varnish that I first removed the bulk of it with paint stripper and then sanded back. The middle bit had no varnish so just sanded this back. Will this disappear or become less pronounced after varnishing? We're thinking of using ronseal dark oak diamond hard varnish so it should end up quite dark, which was why I was wondering if it will disappear or be less prominent when added? If not, is there any other way to even up the colour? Cheers

Sponsored Links
image broken...
fixed

VHraKeJ.jpeg

just varnish it all the same as after about 2 or 3 years it will even out
if you tone down the lighter bits to match in 2 or 3 years it will be darker

you can use wood dye such as Colron (the spirit based, not the "refined" water one), Rustins, Wickes, Blackfriar etc
Wilko own-brand are actually very good
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...cat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=wood+dye

Alternate three or more colours to look random and any differences will disappear to the eye. You can mix them together if you want. They are just variations of yellow, red, brown and black.

Apply before varnishing. You can brush it on for speed.

use a clear, not a tinted varnish which will not look as good.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back