Floorboards Warping Splitting From Hot Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first floor flat has Victorian floorboards in the hallway. 10 years ago I sealed the gaps between the boards with clear silicone. Over the years a few of the boards have warped and now split. I removed these boards to find a large water pipe running beneath them. This pipe serves the flat below and gets hot when their boiler/heating is on. I need to sort out this problem and replace the boards. This pipe runs a couple of inches away from the bottom of the boards.

It's clear that having sealed the gaps I have prevented the heat to escape enough to stop the boards from being damaged. But sealing the gaps is crucial because of cooking smells coming from below which by the time they reach my flat are headache inducing.

So, I don't want to remove the silicone and I can't relocate the pipe.

I've had an idea - to slide a length of pipe lagging/insulation onto this pipe to contain the heat and prevent it from rising onto my boards. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
yes

but also buy some loft insulation mineral quilt (get the sort treated with Ecose which prevents it shedding dust or fibres) and stuff it under the floor so it it is tight agaist the joists on each side, this will block draughts and air currents and so the smells, and slightly muffle noise.

If you see any actual cracks or gaps you can fill them with plaster or expanding pink fire foam (taking care not to let any fall through the gaps).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back