flouresent light needs to be reconnected.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there have just had ceilings plastered and now painting finished.

Im left with no light fitted, and 1 month now with no lights down stairs.

Think i could do this one quiet easily with a bit of confirmation.
not sure the photos will help it looks like a spaghetti junction

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0026.jpg

I have

3 main cables.
1 from Switch,
1 from Wall light
1 from ring.

2 containing 3 core ( brown, blue,earth)
1 containing 4 core which gives me a grey wire?. (is it possible the 4 core was used in place of the 3 core and the grey has no use?)

The rose supplies a wall light which is activated by a double wall light switch at the door.
I have the same set up in my lounge but there is no 4 core wire that gives me a grey wire.

Also the lounge light is a circular fluorescent not sure if that makes any difference.

In the lounge the 3 browns are all attached to a free holding chocolate block.

3 Earth wires, attached to the Earth section of the permanent fixed, chocolate block, which has no wires exiting the other side.

2 Blues are in the N on the fixed block with wires exiting to the bulb
1 Blue in the Live fixed block with wires exiting to the power pack.
(I’m thinking for this bit you need to know which wires come from where to be able to separate and use the blue wires correctly.)

No wall light has been attached yet so I can confirm tomorrow, iof this is the 4 core or the 3.

can i ask which blue wire goes into the live section, would it be the main ring.
Regarding the grey wire if it has no use, would you suggest tape or block to keep it covered and out the way.

thank you for any help

Sponsored Links
Your 4 core is to the switch I reckon. It has a permenant live and two switched lives. One switched live is for the wall light, the other is for this light.

You need to find how its connected at the switch - one core will connect to both switches - this is the permenant live.

Thanks Steve my lad has just informed me that what I thought was a blue is actually a black?? :rolleyes: in the 4 core

I shall look closer again tomorrow and undo the wall switch as I will have daylight.

needed to edit as have located wire colourings in wall light

Hi again Steve the switch has the 4 wires and the wall light has the 3.

Black to L1 left
Grey to L1 Right
Thin darker brown to L in Left side a wire crossing from there into the L on the right side.
Earth screwed to Earth point ( yellow and green)

I have all earths screwed into a the chocolate box with no exiting wire.
I have a white wire with red thin stripe from florescent workings and a thin wire with blue thin line from florescent working both entering a choclate block.

If i can have some direction of which wire pairs with which and to which side blue or red i would be grateful.

doing it a pair at a time would help a lot.
thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have not already done so you need to identify which of the twin and earth cables is the incoming power and which is the wall light.

brown from incoming supply to brown from switch
blue from incoming supply and blue from wall light to neutral terminal of light
black from switch to live terminal of light
grey from switch to brown from wall light
earths all to the earth terminal of light

Couldn't ask for that to be any clearer, would it make any difference by locating which wire is which , by the 2 earths being run through the same sleave so its like they are one wire but from to supplies.

Is this something electricians do to ID which is which supply, this was fitted by electrician when rewiring the house.
really appreciated :D

Thanks
OJ

I doubt the two earth wires in the same sleeve means anything.

the easiest way to identify which is the incoming power is to connect one of the twin and earth cables to the fitting on it's own and make the other safe with terminal blocks then turn the power back on. If the light comes on then you have the incoming power connected to the light.

Thanks again Plugwash, While ive been testing the wires and turning the fuse at the main board on and off, I have dsicovered my lights down stairs work irrespective of being connected into the kitchen light :oops: . ( 1 month with no lights on down stairs lol)....How to make life harder than necessary :rolleyes:

I've got all the kithcen wires seperated and protected.

Also the wall light doesnt need to be added in as an electricain will be in to fit that when kictehn walls have been finished, :rolleyes: so that plus your help it will be sorted today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back