Flow Reducer/Restrictor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I have a bathroom vanity that has a shallow sink. We have ridiculously good flow rate here (on both hot and cold) so when the tap is fully opened the force of the water causes it to rise up the sink and over.

I've tried closing my isolators a bit, but the noise (presumably from the water force) is really noticeable through the isolators unless they're fully open.

Is a 'proper' flow reducer/restrictor likely to suffer the same noise problem, or, as they are designed to actually reduce flow do they not?

And what's a good one to get? I think realistically a 50% reduction would be needed!!!

Yes, I know I can just no open the tap as much... not so easy with young children around!

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No (I have tried), because it affects the shower, which I don't want.

So ideally it would be point of use reducers, not whole house.

OK, can pressure reducers create noise then? Yes they can, depending or pressure fluctuations on the supply side and the difference between upstream and downstream levels.

You want to find a valve that has been tested for the lower noise levels - 20db I believe. If you are looking for a silent solution then you may find that difficult.

Sponsored Links
Can I just check something: with the cartridge versions, do they ever need to be changed (the cartridge, that is)?

I'm assuming no for the regulator only variants, and yes for the filter variants.

The restrictors don't need to be changed as far as I know. I have fitted a few before but not needed to do any further maintenance.

Is there anything I can do to get the right regulator cartridge? I know I need about 30-50% reduction but have no idea what flow rate that equates to.

Just had a look at the location and I don't think I'll get these combo valves in there (H and C are close together and they're both next to the side of the vanity unit. Can you get these in regulator only variants (I can move the current isolators closer to the outlets).

They look the same as the wondervalve?

17527.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back