Flue bent inwards - Fix or can it be replaced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have this bent inwards and I was told this can't be fixed and I would need to change not only this but the boiler itself as this is now obsolete.

I have not tried but from the picture it looks like it can be bent back with a simple lever or rigid bar.

Could I have your thoughts please?

Attachments

• BentFlue.jpeg
    BentFlue.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 361
Sponsored Links
It is indeed obsolete, so can't be replaced. Whether it can or should be bent back depends on what damage there is behind that front panel, and of course if bending it back into shape breaks it you'll need a new boiler anyway

And just to add that the boiler may now be unsafe since it will likely have a restricted flue on the combustion side..needs checking asap.

Could you explain why would I need to change the boiler? Are these not different part/components of the heating system?

Sponsored Links
The flue is supplied along with the boiler...and that type of flue (apart from a few water heaters) has not been sold for decades.
It's up to you to find someone that is prepared to remove the flue, knock out the dents, get it spot welded etc and potentially waste a days labour and your cash.
New boiler time...

Surprised the boiler is working with the flue like that, new boiler time

Quite simple to remove the self tapping screws (there may be 4, I can see only one on the pic)) and panel beat back into shape. While it's off, the rest of the flue section can be inspected for damage and refitted if all OK. BUT...this must be done by a gas safe qualified person, who will also check the boiler for safe operation.

As per 45 not that hard to fix back into a reasonable shape. Baxi boiler

Thanks all for the comments. We tried bending it back and apparently it is no longer extracting the fume (I was told that part is actually doing that) so I am changing boiler. It is a full boiler conversion, they will also get the cylinder out and do the necessary pipe work. I got it down to £1950 for Vaillant ecoTEC Pro 28 Combi with all the other parts; magnetic filter, inhibitor, wireless control, cleaning etc.. Do you think this is a good price? One guy quoted me for £2580.

It's a cheap price for a fairly average boiler. Whether it's a good price rather depends on the quality of the installation. Remember cheapest is very rarely best, and a cheap low quality installation is going to end up with a boiler that isn't going to last very long.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back