flue gas analysis / performance testing

bripl said:
10 ppm are you sure about that

Yes, In a room cigarette smoke will quite easily give a reading of 4ppm.

35ppm in the room is the maximum allowable concentration for continuos exposure in any 8 hour period, as recommended by the OSHA occupational safety and health administration.

On the other hand
Flue gas readings would be in the region of 55ppm - 90ppm

Sponsored Links
well thank you for that :cool: i can remember someone telling me a fag gave a reading of 6ppm i will test it tomorrow :LOL: :LOL:

CO/CO2 ratio will be the same whether you sample before or after the air dilution from the draught diverter, so as long as the sampling probe is well within the POCs you will get a useful reading.

Back boilers have been out for donkeys years well before the flue analysers .

In my opnion a back boiler & fire needs a service every 12 month i have never come across one yet that dont need servicing and anyone that comes along with one of these analysers and says TO the costumer nay its alright, my analyser says its ok . BOL...LACKS.

Sponsored Links
Yes I agree, bbbu's are all in need of regular servicing, any new customer ones we are called to are deadly when we arrive.

I dont think they meant FGA it instead of service think they mean to check burner after cleaning

Yes, what I meant was that this outfit want us to give them the FGA readings after a strip & service for all BBU's.

They said to me that they didn't mind us NOT stripping & servicing OF floorstanding & wall mounted boilers as long as the ratio on the FGA printout was under 0.004.

Its very helpful for me to know that I can take CO/CO2 readings before or after draught diverter.

All this has prompted me to wonder; unless one works for a boiler manufacturer, or BG or a company that makes flue gas analysers, where the hell are we supposed to find out about how to properly understand flue gas analysis? I know there is a British standard out that deals with using FGA's, but all 3 parts of it are about £400 and are frankly out of my price range!

Odd how some of them are desperate in less than a year, but others stay clean as a whistle. (like my mother's, which didn't get touched for about 5 years :rolleyes: )

The ones that stay clean are the ones without cats or shag pile carpets!

Before you make any asumptions Paul try measuting a few BBUs both before and after the draught converter.

As far as cigarettes giving CO at a particular leven then that must depend on the size of the room!

Tony

No-one has ever told me where the draught diverter (or converter?) on a Back Boiler is.

In effect, the fire outlet connector port is the draught diverter!

Of course part of the problem is that the boiler can operate differently with the fire on and off!

Its not really very ideal testing the boiler on its own and then adding the fire afterwards but on most thats all you can do.

The spillage test with fire and boiler on together is the final safety check of the worst case operating senario.

Tony

The worst BBU's for fluffing up seem to be in rooms with laminate flooring.

My mother has a fluffy cat, though neither she nor the cat are active enough to bring much out of the carpet!

I do my spillage test on the boiler from the fire connection spigot. Spillage on the fire from the test point if Baxi.

No-where on any MI for any back boiler I have seen does it mention a draught diverter...

Baxi GF3 and LFE3 fire front state spillage from draught divertor/fire flue connection point ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back