Flue pipe/chimney problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
expertgasman";p="2077335 said:
Notwithstanding the curious comments from both Ben and the OP, I will stick in my pennies worth.

The RGI sounds like a bit of a loser.

The flue has passed the smoke test, but failing the "splillage" test. A test can be done every 5 minutes for up to 3 attempts. After that there is no point, it won't get any better.

Different fires have specific spillage testing instructions. I supposer we all do a generic test, and if it as a clear and thorough draw, then job done. If it is sluggish or fails, then you can't "fail" it without doing it 100% to MI's, which differ from fire to fire.

The test is ALWAYS on high, and if the poor RGI fingers are getting too hot, then he isn't using a proper smoke match holder. And you can't just "do it from the side", there is a specific position.

So, my advice would be to speak to another RGI, explain the diffculty, make sure ypu have the MI's, and HE has the experience. But be prepared to pay even if it fails.

If it does fail, or is sluggish, then:

Have you inspected the length of the flue. I assume this is a pre cast or 5" factory flue, and spiders webs will easily kill the draw.

Has the flue been swept?

Is the fire suitble for the type of flue.

Don't assume anything.

Thanks so much for your constructional comment. I think the RGI is fairly new but he assures me he has been gas passed and trading for 5 years.
The fire has been tested for 3 years and found satisfactory, the flue on another fire was OK for 10 years before that. The wind had effected the readings previousely but after 10 mins was OK. The flue length was approx 9ft but is now extended by more than 3ft. and is now above the ridge line.
Wood a spinning cap be any good?
Thanks again Kev

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your constructional comment. I think the RGI is fairly new but he assures me he has been gas passed and trading for 5 years.

Have you checked his card or registration, and does he have a ticket specifically for fires?

The fire has been tested for 3 years and found satisfactory, the flue on another fire was OK for 10 years before that. The wind had effected the readings previousely but after 10 mins was OK. The flue length was approx 9ft but is now extended by more than 3ft. and is now above the ridge line.
Wood a spinning cap be any good?
Thanks again Kev[/quote]

It MAY work, but why pay over £100, without conducting the basic tests and checks I outlined? Your RGI clearly DIDN'T conduct the test properly:

test was first completed, it was turned down upon second test (smoke match) because it was too hot to hold his hand near, he had to hold the match towards the side away from the centre radiants which were still alight:

(although I obvioulsy can't say oit should have passed). The checks I spoke of should really have been his next thoughts.

If the flue (asssuming it was propelry tested) has passed for years AND you have increased the height, then it follows that there has been a fundemental change in one or more condition.

Cobwebs DO appear overnight and they DO clog up flues.

Feel free to look at this thread, and jump to my post at the very end:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2023787#2023787

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back