Flue variation kit on a Vaillant Combi

S

sturharv

I am looking to use a flue variation kit on a Vaillant ecoTEC combi, the kit that directs plume away. The flue has to come off the boiler run horizontally through the wall and be routed around the gutter/eave.

Can it discharge vertically i.e. does there have to be a horizontally 90 degree bend on the end??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you can take the flue up vertically above the boiler through the roof then you can use a vertical terminal kit.

Unfortunately they do not recommend using the plume diverter to take the discharge point downwards as this causes condensation drips.

Tony

The supplied elbow has to be used. It has a 'bird' guard on it as well, but can point where you want it to as long as no windows/openings etc are in the line of fire.

OP i think we all understand you but to clarify:

firstly you want to come off the boiler with the 90 elbow
go through the wall horizontally to the terminal
then you want to fit the plume kit terminal in place of normal terminal
then go vertically past the guttering etc with the plume pipe only
and finally finish off with the plume elbow (90) above the gutter

if this what you meant then yes that is correct (the plume management pipes have brackets in the box as well.

as tony says at no point can the flue go downwards away from the boiler

Sponsored Links
So am I right in saying that if I use the flue variation kit and run it outside up the building and around the gutter, it then has to have a horizontal end on it to discharge, and that is the bit that has the bird grill on?

I wonder why you cant install it without the horizontal directional part on the end? :rolleyes:

Can you point it 45 degrees?

sturharv said:
So am I right in saying that if I use the flue variation kit and run it outside up the building and around the gutter, it then has to have a horizontal end on it to discharge, and that is the bit that has the bird grill on?
YES :!:

I wonder why you cant install it without the horizontal directional part on the end? :rolleyes:

Can you point it 45 degrees?

because when it rains it would become a down pipe! and no 90 is the angle otherwise it would not be horizontal! you just direct it anywhere in the 360 degrees that it rotates.

You are being given the wrong answers to your question here.

Vaillant permit you to go round the eaves and leave a vertical PDK outlet. We have been doing this for two years and if in any doubt you will find it drawn on a diagram in the Vaillant flue manual pages 26-27.

You merely fit the metal guard into the end of the last vertical extension.

The comments about rain are misguided; since the flue is only about 2" in diameter and the boiler is designed to accommodate water this is not an issue. Many of the condensers we fit (apart from Vaillant) have just a grille at the open vertical end.

Thanks everyone.

simond, thanks for the description. I can't find any info on the pdk outlet? Do you know where I can get some info. Is it a part that Vaillant make?

Great, I can terminate it vertically then.

Sorry, PDK is a generic description as in Plume Diversion Kit. Vaillant call it a VTK - variable termination kit.

If you go to the Vaillant site. then select an ecoTEC model (for instance) you can download the flue installation instructions pdf. As in portable document format. confusing :LOL:

simond said:

Vaillant permit you to go round the eaves and leave a vertical PDK outlet. We have been doing this for two years and if in any doubt you will find it drawn on a diagram in the Vaillant flue manual pages 26-27.

The comments about rain are misguided; since the flue is only about 2" in diameter and the boiler is designed to accommodate water this is not an issue. Many of the condensers we fit (apart from Vaillant) have just a grille at the open vertical end.

Never knew you could do that :oops: I've never read the flue installation instructions that far in.

I can use that on the quote I'm now doing ;)

Also the newer designed vaillant vertical terminal has the outlet hole directly in the top with no guard to stop rain entering! So this would act in the same manner.

Sam

That really is dumb German engineering then - its gets worse all the time. What happens when the flue is installed near trees especially conifers.

The small needle like leaves will enter the flue and find their way down to the rear duct of the heat exhanger leading to a blocked condensate trap.

Thanks, I have just downloaded it now, page 27 shows how I want to install it.

Does the metal guard come with the Vaillant kit? or has this been discontinued with the newly designed one?

simond said:

interesting how their own reps don't even know this and feel that the syphonic trap will struggle to keep the boiler clear of water! (straight from the local guy tonight)

SimonD, have you ever had any problems with the vertical terminal arrangement i.e. excessive amounts of water entering the boiler etc.??

I must admit Vaillant don't state in the flue document that the elbow be fitted on the end of the vertical section…. neither do they say it is sufficient to be left off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back