flueless gas fires

adlplumbing wrote

i hope you rembered the minmum hight for vent to outside 400mm i think
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing in Burley instructions about minimum height
Only min of 100cm2, and at least 1 metre from appliance

Rep. of Ireland req. 2 vents not less than 60cm2 Each one not less than 1.6m above the other

Sponsored Links
Excellent idea. I shall try to arrange to be on one of your courses. Although I may not like gas fires, I also recognise that I still have to work on them and any information that improves the safety of any appliance is good.

Thanks Bertiegas, for the life of me couldn't remember the name of the old hall heater. Big tin box, length of barrel with holes in. Super job, the old ladies loved them. When first installing them they didn't need air vents, then they did (or classed as SS), then they got banned. Must have fitted 1000's.

Would I fit a flueless gas fire, yes.
I have fitted 1000's of gas appliances over the years and they all have the abillity to kill.

Remember the o/f fan assisted combi that killed plenty due to blockages in heat exchanger.
The floor standing o/f that has same issues with shale build up.
The positive pressure cased boilers, must have fitted 100's of netaheats.
A N/Heat can kill you when the top fixings come away and boiler lands on your head.

Sponsored Links
Boiler with the shale problem was the potterton kingfisher

adlplumbing
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:13 pm Post Subject:
their is minimum height from the floor so leaves and snow can not block it

I am intrigued about the minimum height aspect.

I agree that a minimum height off the ground is an excellent idea as it alleviates the risk of snow and leaf blockages.

However is it not also to do with the mass of the gasses, and how the will level out, and where all the warm air is.
We all know how a hot air balloon works, therefore a vent high up will allow the heat to escape, so a vent low will be better.

In addition , as CO and C02 is heavy will this not settle near the base of the room along with N2. Therefore having a vent low will allow the N2 and CO2 CO to dissipate from a room, whilst the O2 will remain.

e.g.
CO2 has a mass of ~ 44
CO has a mass of ~ 28
N2 has a mass of ~ 28
whereas O2 has a mass of ~32

Just a thought?

Hi everyone, I've been reading these posts with great interest, as I'm in the market for a flueless gas fire, as secondary heating in our home.

I plan to get one installed by a qualified installer. recommend by the supplier. However on the subject of an air brick or additional vent.

Our house is a modern semi, with an open plan living room, which joins onto a dining area, essentually they're the same room.Also the living room has an open plan staircase to the upstairs. so the question. Is an additional vent required with such a large open area?

Many thanks.

Firstly I would still never fit one for all the money in the world.

Secondly I think the ventilation is mandatory.

rofl5.gif

their is minimum height from the floor so leaves and snow can not block it

you are right it says in the regs that vents should be positioned to avoid blockages by leaves and snow but the height of 400mm is made up as it doesn't appear in any MI or BS doc

BG wont even service them

Bit weird this, BG are alwys being knocked for being useless, but on flueless fires they become the experts!

To service a flueless fire you are require to carry out a room test, which takes far too long for BG. The unfortunate death in Wales occurred because the fire was not set up properly in the factory, and THE FITTER DID NOT CHECK THE GAS RATE. That is why he was sent to jail, although Bee n Poo, and the manufacturere (not Burley - the other one) got away scot free. The reg that was changed was the distance between the vent and the fire.

Catalytic converters don't break down, if you read the science, it's obvious why. Car cats generally break down physically, at least their housing does.

Negligible heat? If you call 2.5Kw to 3.5Kw OUTPUT negligible,, then you don't know gas fires.

The only downside is the vent itself, but careful siting normally results in satisfactory overall performance.

Finally, I am NOT a manufacturer, but I do fit htese frequently. Most guys don't fit them because they don't understand them , and they appear to go against all we have learnt.

It takes them minutes to fit a flueless rather than hours for a flued fire, and you never have any trouble with chimneys that don't draw.

Also when they are serviced each year you don't have to disconnect the gas, or unseal and pull the fire out the chimney to check if it is still sound and shovel the rubble and bird droppings out. Just check the coals, give it a brush and a polish and waft a combsustion analyser at it. Lovely.

I'm a bit concerned at this. Flueless, are you an engineer, or a factory operative? (no disrespect). A service must include a 30 minute centre of room test, and this should also be done on installation. I fit these, and I promise you I don't take "minutes".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back