Flues and pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance for the lack of knowledge...

I have been trying to make sense of the WIKI in relation to flues and other pipework. I have a bit of a basic understanding but I wondered if someone on here could please tell me:

Is there such a thing as a heat only boiler which can be fitted using a concentric flue up the chimney breast and, if so, am I correct in thinking that heat exchange types don't require any drain off which condensing boilers do?

Thanks to all those out there who continue to help with advice.

B

Sponsored Links
Yes there are some that can be flued up a chimney, mostly non- concentric, B23, but all now will be condensing. I am told there is a possibility of a dispensation for non-condensing boilers for SE and U duct communal flue systems but haven't heard confirmation of that.

baxi did a condensing back boiler that had a concentric flue liner to go down the chimney. it had a built in condensate pump
im not sure if they still make them anymore though

Sponsored Links
baxi did a condensing back boiler that had a concentric flue liner to go down the chimney. it had a built in condensate pump
im not sure if they still make them anymore though

Discontinued.

Thank God

I had a preview of that boiler and thought it was a good compromise for those who must have a back boiler!

But I presume it did not sell very well and so has been discontinued.

The clever flue system would also seem to have had a future had any boiler maker picked it up as a varient for their boiler.

A few years ago I went to see a four story house where they needed a new boiler but it had to have a vertical flue and the existing chimney was the only route available. I could not think of any easy to fit solution!

Are you saying that all boilers are now condensing?

Thanks to you both.
ErP regs Sept 2015 say no manufacturer can market a non condensing boiler in the EU. Like I say for certain buildings there may be an excemption coming but nothing in writing yet.

ErP regs Sept 2015 say no manufacturer can market a non condensing boiler in the EU. Like I say for certain buildings there may be an excemption coming but nothing in writing yet.

Thanks for that.

And do all such boilers require an external condensate drain of some description??

Somewhere to drain condensate indoors or outdoors.

But there are pumps which can pump up a floor and out through many metres of thin tube!

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

And do all such boilers require an external condensate drain of some description??

Condensate can be run indoors to a convenient soil pipe, like a sink or washing machine. In fact it's actually better than running it externally as it reduces the risk of freezing and doesn't require larger pipework when passing through and out a wall to a soakaway.

Intergas can supply a 10m long concentric chimney liner for their boilers

A flexible one?

Is that made of the Baxi material?

Baxi seemed to think that they had got the manufacturer to kind of make it to their requirements.

Maybe they did. As I understand it the Baxi BBU was discontinued as they split less than amicably from the fire front manufacturer and so couldn't get the matching fire fronts any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back