Fluidmaster flushing too powerfully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some good advice on another thread on this forum, I installed a new closed coupled WC with new flexi waste pipe. All seems pretty good except the flush mechanism in the new toilet. It flushes vigorously, splashing a little with the whole thing over very quickly and not always shifting everything....

I tried putting what I had to had which was a piece of rolled up flashing to partly cover the inlet. That might have worked if it hadn't ended up stopping the flapper from closing.

Any better ideas that preferably don't involve taking the WC apart? Its a fluidmaster dual 4/6 litre (adjustable) flush.

Sponsored Links
photos may help

including inside the cistern

before and after flush

I'll take a pic if that's the only way, but before the flush the water level is at the 6Litre line on the tank and after a full flush, the cistern is nearly empty. If I press the "small flush button/4l" it dumps about 2/3 of the water only but again very fast.

Sponsored Links
it will be interesting to see the route of the flexi pipe.

Pics uploaded. The toilet was admittedly a cheap one from screwfix but I was surprised to get a branded fluidmaster flush and fill valve for that money. Shame it just blasts the water out into the pan !

Is there not some way to restrict the flow into the pan?

Attachments

• 2018-03-15 20.03.35.jpg
    2018-03-15 20.03.35.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 2018-03-15 20.03.54.jpg
    2018-03-15 20.03.54.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 2018-03-15 20.04.17.jpg
    2018-03-15 20.04.17.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 136
Nope, it can be adjusted for volume (how much) but not for flow (how quickly). The drop valve opens and lets a given flow out of the valve into the pan. You could cover up one of the slots I guess with a piece of plastic carton or something. Anything like that is just a bodge though.

I _think_ this is one of those rare cases where a "bodge" is the hopefully the right solution. Well, I suppose the ideal solution would be to fit a different valve but given the below took all of 30 seconds I'm very happy and thanks for the idea of using a piece of plastic.

I took a plastic bottle with a smaller diameter than the flush valve. Cut the top/bottom off then cut it lengthways. It hugged the valve quite nicely around 75% of the diameter and the flush now comes out at about the right speed and lasts for longer!

round the back, showing the slope starting at the pan.

btw flexi pipes are not as good for flow and trapped detritus.

Pinch off a pipe choker and upload a video of trying to flush it away! :LOL:

I’d say badly designed/moulded pan and poor waste pipework.

Dump valve is doing what it’s supposed to.

Agree, sounds like the flush is doing exactly what it should be, but the waste isn't coping properly.

You should be able to dump much more water than the cistern holds and not really see any significant rise in water level. 4" pipe can carry a lot of water!

Another pic attached. Taken with a phone resting horizantally on the floor. The water level doesn't rise in the pan.

The old fixed waste outlet installed by a professional is on this thread.
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/putting-wc-on-a-pedestal.499312/#post-4108555

I was advised on that thread that it should be ok to fit a flexi. Certainly it made the job quicker. I'm now happy with the results albeit the "bodge".

Attachments

• 2018-03-16 17.44.45.jpg
    2018-03-16 17.44.45.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 95

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back