Fluorescent tube replacement

not applicable, since it's not a case of replacing the fluorescent tube with a 'LED tube'.

It's either find a fluorescent tube from somewhere that still has any
or replace the entire fitting with an LED one. Screwfix have cheapo ones. Much better examples available elsewhere.

Fluorescent tubes will be gone forever in a few months time.
After that, it's the usual thing where they might be available from a few places that have hoarded stock to sell at inflated prices.

Item 6 in the instructions you included in the original post.
Like the tubes, such things will not be available for much longer.
You can replace a fluorescent tube with a LED tube .

Sponsored Links
Led can be had for a £5 and far outlast fluorescent , always found mine flicker free while fluorescent have an annoying strobe effect and light output drastically reduces with age . LED gave nice crisp light.
My experiences are very different.
I've found walking through a room with LED lighting the strobe/flicker tends to be more noticable than Fluo.
Most of my work has been commercial and it's not uncommon to have dozens of fluo lights on a single circuit, as a tube fails they tend to get replaced with LED, now according to your statement those LED tubes will not need replacing until all of the older fluo have gone, I can say without fear that I've known LED versions to be replaced 2, 3, 4 times before all of the fluo have gone. Added to that; the total myth that LED light level doesn't drop, wherever does anyone get that silly idea from, go into any office with LED tubes and replace one. Expect to be amazed at the difference between between a new and an old at 5000 hours and also don't be surprised if LED don't last a whole year when on 24/7 but I would be surprised if a fluo fails, plus of course a fluo will warn of failure with fading, light/dark patches, take longer to strike etc for a while but LEDs tend to have a sudden full stop.

I simply get my supplies from wholesalers, generally I don't get to pay any published prices but most things of an ilk will have a similar discount, so stating: 36W flou 3350lm = £3.06, 18W LED 2165lm = 7.85 directly from www may very well be closer to £2 and £5 (plus VAT)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My experiences are very different.
I've found walking through a room with LED lighting the strobe/flicker tends to be more noticable than Fluo.
Most of my work has been commercial and it's not uncommon to have dozens of fluo lights on a single circuit, as a tube fails they tend to get replaced with LED, no according to your statement those LED tubes will not need replacing until all of the fluo have gone, I can say without fear that I've known LED versions to be replaced 2, 3, 4 times before all of the fluo have gone. Added to that; the total myth that LED light level doesn't drop, wherever does anyone get that silly idea from, go into any office with LED tubes and replace one. Expect to be amazed at the difference between between a new and an old at 5000 hours and also don't be surprised if LED don't last a whole year when on 24/7 but I would be surprised if a fluo fails, plus of course a fluo will swarn of failure with fading, light/dark patches, take longer to strike etc for a while but LEDs tend to have a sudden full stop.

I simply get my supplies from wholesalers, generally I don't get to pay any published prices but most things of an ilk will have a similar discount, so stating: 36W flou 3350lm = £3.06, 18W LED 2165lm = 7.85 directly from www may very well be closer to £2 and £5 (plus VAT)
Just looked in my diary, last tubes I purchased Dec 2021 6ft 70W fluo £4.30 55% discount to £1.94 (current listed price £4.50). 2ft 9W LED £6.74 35% discount to £4.19. I know one has been replaced with Fluo but don't know if failure or down to the reduced light level, (current list price £6.60 but shows as a new product). All prices + VAT.

5ft & 6ft LED are both 4000lm fluo are more liks 5300 & 5700lm.

Before the government decided they want rid of the fluorescent, I would have said swap the tube and starter (if there is one) as they are so cheap. However the electronic HF ballast means the tube lasts longer, normally uses less energy, and the tube produces more light, so it compares with the LED on near equal terms. So would have always said fluorescent with HF ballast over LED as so much cheaper.

However the fluorescent has a draw back, a 4 foot fluorescent is 38 watt, you can't fit higher or lower output tubes, around 3350 lumen although the light output varies over time and with different coatings.

By moving to LED you can have same spread of light, but select a lower output, often half the output of the fluorescent tube, 1600 lumen and down to 16 watt, if the fitting has a starter these are a direct replacement, swap tube and starter (new starter is really a fuse) but it is rather wasteful as the ballast is still in circuit, and uses power without doing anything with that power other than heat the ceiling.

Also they cost more, and bitter experience don't last as long. And just as many nasties in LED's as fluorescent tubes, may be different nasties, but when I was a lad at school we would play with mercury which is why now I am as mad as a hatter. Hat were made with mercury, and women darkened their eyes with lead, I bought some in Mascara it is actually a place in Algeria.

Not wonder we considered woman as dotty, they were being poisoned. But LED's have things like Arsenic in them, so what's the difference?

Anyway if there is a starter, then you can either fit any make of fluorescent tube and starter or LED tube and starter, but if no starter, then can only fit any make of fluorescent tube.

But LED's have things like Arsenic in them, so what's the difference? ...
Indeed they often do (although I think that gallium arsenide is now used a lot less), but so do a good few common foodstuffs (e.g. rice, seafood and mushrooms) which, unlike LEDs, are commonly eaten by human beings ;)

Kind Regards, John

If the tube is blackened or discoloured at the end cap then the tube is failing/failed. (Stroking it won't fix that problem. ;) )

No 'so' intended/required. Just mentioning the dummy starter/fuse may or may not be supplied when purchasing from the 2 typical sources.

This could be useful information for a potential purchaser.

Interesting that there is currently a thread about short life of LED lamps in the forum.

I have to agree that they don't seem to last for years like the old linear floodlamps even the very cheap and nasty shed offerings. For that matter so did the bulb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back