Focus engine heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The temperature gauge on my 2.0 Zetec Focus rises quite quickley to about half way, it doesn't go any higher but the engine seems to be overheating. When looking under the bonnet after even just a short journey the heat is unbelievable. I have owned probably around 50 cars and never come across this heat when the temp' gauge is reading normal.
Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
I have a 2.0 Zetec Mondeo 7 years & no heating probs. Are you colling fans running?? :?:

First cheak your fans...then cheak for any drastic pressure on the expansion tank..if theres lots cauld point to head gasket..but theres things like water pump or thermostat to consider..
is you heaters wotking on hot ok???if not cauld be a block..
Cant rele sugest anymore without the car bein infront of me.
shay

They do run horribly hot so may not be anything to worry about.
If you can find someone with an ODB scanner hooked up to a laptop, you should be able to get the true engine temperature from it

Sponsored Links
I'm with ^neo^, things are quite crammed in in that engine bay and they do seem very hot when you lift the bonnet. If the needle's at normal and no water leaks or steam anywhere, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks everyone, I am now thinking that i am just being overcautious, as everything else is ok, no signs of water in oil and vice versa, no loss of coolant, temp gauge reading half way, heater is fine, dont know how to check fans 'cause they're not kicking in, probably due to the temp gauge not being high enough? so I think I will ignore it. Cheers.

I would check the fans.
My Mondeo ( same engine I think) gauge only goes about 1/3 round & the fans come in.
I would think that with the bonnet up & ticking over for a short spell the should start.

The fans will come in if you leave it idling for a short while say between 5 and 10 mins. Or if you're sitting in traffic for a wee while they'll come in.

Stric
I have a Haynes manual. But there is to much to type out I suggest you buy one from Halfords for your model, it seems to point to the temp sensors at bottom of rad.
It does suggest unpluging fan motor & couple straight to the battery, this would rule out fan motor (if it worked).

Ok, I think I will replace the temperature sender anyway, shouldn't cost much, and I can get to it easily. I can't see 'both' fan motors being broke.
One more question.......does the temp sender control the temp gauge AND the fans? if so that may explain why the temp gauge seems to jump to half way (about 5 or 6 jumps) instead of moving slowly? Thats 2 questions :rolleyes:

According to Haynes quote " the rad cooling fan is controlled by the engine management systems ECU acting on the information received from the coolant temp sensor"
JonB

stric said:
Thanks everyone, I am now thinking that i am just being overcautious, as everything else is ok, no signs of water in oil and vice versa, no loss of coolant, temp gauge reading half way, heater is fine, dont know how to check fans 'cause they're not kicking in, probably due to the temp gauge not being high enough? so I think I will ignore it. Cheers.

I though you were happy at that?

Sponsored Links
Back