Folding Stairs/steps help and advice needed, almost given up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m making my own loft folding staircase/ladder and i need to know the name of the hinges used :confused: the type that only fold 1 way and are strong enough to support the weight of a person.

like the hinge in this pic
MarkLength.jpg
wrap345.jpg

if anyone knows an online place that sells them too would be of great help, i`ve tried my local iron mongers but no help as they buy the pre-built stairs in from eastern Europe.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link but i want to make my own as i am a keen DIY`er easy to make the stairs/steps but having great trouble finding out the correct name for the hinges, which makes buying them even harder.

No idea. I guess you could start ringing around the various manufacturers of loft ladders/hinges. Theres bound to be a supplier somewhere.

Strangely enough I have been looking at folding loft ladders in the last couple of days.

Without seeing them its hard to assess the quality and I can see why you would like to make one yourself, you can use better quality wood, deeper treds etc.

How are you making yours?

Sponsored Links
I am making just a simple type set of stairs that need to fold.......anyone know the name of these hinges?.
Cannot make the bleeding things without the hinges, never thought it would be such a difficult thing to source and i really don't want to pay £100/150 for a pre built set.

heeelllooo stemcell

what timber are you using and where are you getting it from!!!!

as in structural beach 69x34mm woodyard!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back