Follow up to condensing Combi exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend recommended a good local Gas Safe registered installer. He came around last Monday. He agreed with me that the flat was exempt from having a condensing combi boiler. He gave a price and came along on Wednesday with a Vokera SE in the van, the 28kW version. He fitted it in a morning with new X-100 in the system. He did all the paperwork. He said he fits a lot of these Vokera SE's and never fits condensing boilers in flats, as he knows the regulations. He also mentioned the Vokera SE is simple and very reliable and has not had a call back on one of them. A Fernox magnetic filter was fitted on the return pipe and an in-line descaler on the cold feed to the combi to help with scale build up. He said they only keep scale down not eliminate it. The DHW delivery is excellent compared to the old combi. It is also much quieter. A am a happy bunny.

http://www.vokera.co.uk/trade-professionals/boilers/compact-se/

Sponsored Links
He doesn't know the regulations if he thinks they don't apply to flats. Your boiler is made for shared communal flue applications such as in U-duct or Se-duct buildings.

All is not lost - the literature says the boiler can easily be changed for a condensing model - so if the Gaz Gestapo come with the midnight knock on the door Mr. Harrison has a way out , but I don`t think he`ll be loosing any sleep :LOL: Thankyou Mr.H for an amusing ( and enlightening ) thread.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is made for shared communal flue applications such as in U-duct or Se-duct buildings.
It may be certified for use with those types of flue, but that doesn't mean it can only be used with those flues. The installation instructions show the typical concentric flue through the wall.

Thank you Mr.H for an amusing ( and enlightening ) thread.
I am sure most are enlightened as they though non-condensing boilers were banned at all costs. Now they know it is difficult to actually put a condensing boiler in a flat.

From the Vokera web site:
"The Vokèra Compact SE is suitable when installation of a condensing version is not suitable and you have an exemption certificate under the Building Regulations."

"In certain applications a new condensing boiler or high efficiency boiler as it is also known may not always be a feasible or possible option. This is why Vokèra manufacture a range of non condensing boilers.

Vokèra non condensing boilers can be installed when an assessment form has been completed, that deems a condensing boiler installation is not suitable. Any boiler replacements that use a standard efficiency appliance must have been deemed exempt under the building Regulations (England and Wales) and Building Standards (Scotland)."

He doesn't know the regulations if he thinks they don't apply to flats. Your boiler is made for shared communal flue applications such as in U-duct or Se-duct buildings.
Vokera may have a version for U-ducts, etc, but this was a normal combi. By the way, the installer said once he took out a condensing boiler and fitted a non-condensing combi as the plume was a nuisance. He only ever fits non-condensing combis in flats, never ever considering condensing models. He knows, he works in flat-land. He knows the points system.

Mr Robinson, I do not live in a council flat or a council owned building. It is not ex council either. You sound like a petty snob talking of council owned property and tenants in a disparaging manner.

I am a happy bunny, and especially the simple controls on the Vokera SE will make it more reliable which is just what I want. So, to all you installers, do not fit condensing boilers in flats. In 99.9% of cases they are exempt. :)

Any Photos?
http://www.vokera.co.uk/trade-professionals/boilers/compact-se/

Compact-SE.jpg

Did I say all council flats were manky?

Was I disparaging towards any group of people?

Are you claiming that there are no manky looking council owned residential buildings?

No. I didn't.

Do you know of my origins?

No you don't. Kindly jog on.

I like this on the Vokera SE:

"SARA function: the SARA function permits the boiler (when
the set-point is within the SARA range) to automatically
adjust (raise) the heating flow outlet temperature should the
room thermostat contacts remain closed for more that 20-
minutes."

I was watching out for this. First thing in the morning I noticed the radiator temperatures rise after 20 minutes. It is very simple and neat. I can see this would be brilliant when it is below freezing outside and the boiler has to work harder.

It may be certified for use with those types of flue, but that doesn't mean it can only be used with those flues. The installation instructions show the typical concentric flue through the wall.

I do know exactly what they do, please try to allow that I've been in this game for 35 years.

My point is that the OP seems to suggest his installer considers flats exempt in general, which shows he doesn't understand building regulations.

From the Vokera web site:

"The Vokèra Compact SE is suitable when installation of a condensing version is not suitable and you have an exemption certificate under the Building Regulations."

But do you actually have an exemption Certificate?

Have you got the sign off from building control yet? Your installation is not exempt unless building control say it is.

Also the installer has installed a boiler that is discharging into a confined space that is someone else property. That may have been acceptable when the original boiler was installed but certainly isn't now. Even with a standard efficiency boiler you would nerd to discharge into open space and therefore extend the flue accross the landing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back