Exemption from fitting condensing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I own a flat (in Scotland) which I rent out, the current gas combi boiler has reached the end of its life and needs replaced. The amount of call outs for repair have reached the point where the tenants are quite understandably a bit hacked off with having no heating or hot water.

My issue with a replacement is that I have a 15mm gas line from the meter to the boiler. This is run through ceilings, down walls and under floors to get from the hallway via the kitchen and into the bedroom where the boiler is. Therefore upgrading this to 22mm required for a high efficiency condensing boiler is going to be extremely cost prohibitive and will impose significant disruption to the tenants. Mains inlet to the property is only 15mm anyway so doubt 22mm inside would make a difference.

I have been told I my boiler fitter can apply for an exemption and fit a standard efficiency (non-condensing) boiler. Is this easy to get approval for and will this be an approved installation?

I checked Scottish building regs for installing boilers and it states an exemption is required not to fit a condensing boiler; however when I called Glasgow City Council building standards department they told me they don't need to see anything and I could fit it ok without permission. He said as its a straight replacement it doesn't need any permission, a completion certificate is not required and they don't have the man-power to check every boiler installation.

As I'm getting conflicting stories I want to ensure I am covered before paying to get it done. My biggest worry is having the correct paperwork for when I sell the property.

Can anyone else clarify the situation?

Cheers,
Roger

Sponsored Links
It matters not a jot how efficient a boiler is.

It requires a certain volume of gas at the correct pressure.

If the pipe is too small it will need upgrading.

Whether standard efficiency boilers are mandatory in Scotland I can't remember. But I have yet to see a property in England that would qualify for an exemption.

Glad you're not my landlord.

. Mains inlet to the property is only 15mm anyway so doubt 22mm inside would make a difference.

Think you are confused with the water main.

In any case the gas meter has a pressure regulator as it enters the meter at a higher pressure.

Any installer would be very negligent to fit any boiler with an inadequate gas supply!

Its your responsibility as Landlord to ensure any boiler is correctly installed.

Tony

I have full safety certificates for everything in the flat so please don't question my principles of acting as a conscientious and law abiding landlord.

My issue is finding a solution without upgrading the pipework as I effectively have to rip the flat apart to do this. Not great for the cost of the work and not great for the disruption to the tenants.

I would like to find a solution which is in adherence to building regs either by fitting the right unit or by gaining a suitable exemption. I am not trying to cut corners and want to make sure I have full approval.

I am not confused with the water inlet. Whilst getting quotes for the replacement the engineers have mentioned they were surprised to see the size of inlet pipe to the gas meter.

Sponsored Links
I shall refer you back to my original post which remains correct.

What is supplied to the gas meter is the responsibility of the gas transporter. After that it is your responsibility to ensure that the correct size pipework is installed to the boiler.

Regardless of the upheaval.

A A combination boiler is at least 24kw. So the gas supply could even need to be 28mm for a period.

I have full safety certificates for everything in the flat so please don't question my principles of acting as a conscientious and law abiding landlord.

I am glad to hear you have a gas cert.

But if the gas supply to the boiler is so undersized then its likely that a conscientious gas engineer would have been justified in marking the boiler as At Risk and asking if he can cut it off. The Gas Safe advice is that situation occurs when the pressure at boiler input is below 15 mbar when all the gas appliances are operating.

Many engineers don't bother to do that check because its not mandatory when doing a gas cert check even though it can show up an At Risk situation.

The only way you might be able to avoid upgrading the gas supply might be by fitting a heat only boiler of very low heat output to use with a cylinder.

Tony

The new gas pipe doesn't have to follow the same route as the old. A surface pipe could be put in then replaced when redecoration is due.

You now have to have Energy Performance Certificates when letting out a property so having a more efficient boiler will show up on that and hopefully make the flat more attractive to tenants.

Is it a combi?

yes current boiler is a combi.

Current inlet is marked on landlords safety cert as not up to current regulations.

think best action is to look at another pipe routing as suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back