Condensing boiler exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is hilarious :) :) Some here have no common sense whatsoever. :) I even wrote the flow chart out for you, and others, and walked you through it explaining how it works and how it is exempt.
You've not said a single VALID reason for being exempt.
I walked through the flow chart. Did you read it? Everything I write is 100% correct. :)
As I stated, not liking the look of either the plume or the plastic flue is not reason enough to be exempt. Whether it's you personally or the building owner is irrelevant.
You fail to see that I CANNOT fit a plume kit or condensing terminal discharging onto the common landing at head height whether I like or it or not. I simply cannot fit the plume extension kit across someone else property. FULL STOP. :LOL: Can't you see that? I cannot fit one.
You do not have the RIGHT to have a gas central heating boiler installed.
I do. A non-condensing model. The regs say I can. Look at them.

Let's face it you never knew the regs until reading this thread and thanks to D Hailsham for that. I assume you have been fitting in condensing boilers when you did not need to, all this time. Now you know so you can do it properly next time.

Stop trying to save face. You are making a fool of yourself. ;)

Sponsored Links
Why can't you have one fitted? The owner of the building says no. This is not a "law"
It is his property, not mine or yours or anyone else's either. If he say NO then that is it. That is the law.
And yes, I have read it. But the difference is I have practical knowledge of how it is applied, unlike you.
You have no idea of laws thinking anyone can fit equipment into someone else's property. Sorry you cannot that is the way the law works. What you are saying is that you can run a long flue extension through your next door neighbour's kitchen even if they do not want the flue pipe run through their kitchen. :LOL:

If a freeholder sees that you have fitted without his permission a flue extension kit, he has the right to remove it and give the parts back to you as you own them.

Sponsored Links
I've got a feeling you live in a bedsit in Wigan, surrounded by empty special brew cans, waiting for Tuesdays giro to clear.
Boring isn't it.

I've got a feeling you live in a bedsit in Wigan, surrounded by empty special brew cans, waiting for Tuesdays giro to clear.
Boring isn't it.
Is Wigan where you really live? You wrote that in a mocking manner towards this town. I went to Wigan about a year ago. It was a nice place. I never once saw a plume extension kit fitted. :LOL: I will have t leave this thread for the mo' by gum. I have laughed too much today. :LOL:

If enough of the leaseholders got together - the freeholder HAS to sell the freehold to them -:
Don`t you guys believe that either :LOL:
The freeholder needs to own about 25% of the flats then cannot be bought out. I believe the freeholder who rents a house or flat, after a number of years I "believe" the renter can compulsory purchase. Irrespective, if the freeholder is bought out the joint owners, the flat owners, can insist on no plumes, plume pipes, etc, so no change. If it is in the constitution of the block, even though you may be a part owner of the block, you have to abide by the rules.

Here is what the flow chart on page 69 says (in bold):
Is it difficult to fit a condensing boiler in this building?
Yes, as the freeholder will not allow a plume or an extension pipe. So Yes is selected.

Is it possible to fit a condensing boiler in this building?
No, as the freeholder will not allow a plume or an extension pipe. So No is selected.
It is not "difficult" to fit one at all, it is personal preference that one is not fitted by the owner which does not qualify as difficult.
The info given in the Domestic Heating Compliance Guide is, as made clear on page 69 para 4, not complete. You need to read Guide to Condensing boiler assessment etc.

1. "Difficult to install" does not mean "it's hard to do" or even "the landlord won't permit it". The Guide gives several examples (page 4), the most relevant being:

"It is sometimes more difficult to install a condensing rather than a non-condensing boiler because:

The flue gases discharged from the flue terminal are cooler and less buoyant, and usually form a visible ‘plume’. They may cause wetting of surfaces too close to the terminal, or nuisance to neighbouring property, or people passing nearby."

I would suggest that, in the OP's case this would apply as the fumes would discharge on to the open landing serving several flats, and would be a nuisance to those walking along it; as well as wetting the ceiling of the corridor.

Why not fit a plume diverter extension to the flue?

Well, the Guide has a list of Flue locations which must NOT be considered; and one of them is:

"A flue that passes through another dwelling, or another building in different ownership, or another fire compartment."

The landing is in different ownership. Therefore passing the flue across the landing is NOT an option.

There are other prohibited flue positions which could be relevant; but you will have to read Table 1 on page 8 of the Exceptions Guide to find out what they are. ;)

Thank you Mr Hailsham for clarification. Thousands of these nuisance condensing boilers are being fitted unnecessarily because installers cannot understand the simple regs properly. Their misunderstanding of simple laws is quite astonishing.

That Domestic Heating Compliance Guide really wraps this up for me. I am clearly exempt without a shadow of a doubt. These installers should take note of it. Unfortunately I fear many just do not have the ability in interpret these written words by their responses on this thread.

That Domestic Heating Compliance Guide really wraps this up

Yes it does. In my opinion you don't qualify for an exemption.
Unfortunately both you, and the OP, keep on referring the the DHCG as the relevant document: it is NOT.

The Guide to the Condensing Boiler Installation Assessment Procedure for Dwellings is the relevant document.

PS the DHCG is now obsolete! It has been replaced by the Domestic Building Services Guide; but the Exceptions Guide has NOT changed.

Thank you Mr Hailsham for clarification. Thousands of these nuisance condensing boilers are being fitted unnecessarily because installers cannot understand the simple regs properly. .

Interesting...The fact that they have been possible to fit, suggests that they wouldn't have been exempt?

If a freeholder sees that you have fitted without his permission a flue extension kit, he has the right to remove it and give the parts back to you as you own them.

No he doesn't.... It is an offence punishable by law to tamper with the boiler flue. He may try to take you to court to have you remove it but he cannot touch it.

And the regs do not permit you to discharge the products of combustion onto property that does not belong to you whether the owner of the property permits it or not..

I guess that you are snookered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back