Condensing boiler exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
How are you going to get around the fact that a boiler flue (condensing OR NOT) is not allowed to terminate into/onto land which you do not own?
There is probably a paragraph in the lease permitting it. If there isn't, the lease is defective. This should have been picked up by the Conveyancer.

Isn't it funny how the OP can only give information that supports his choice of action.

This mystical landlord is happy for trespass and pollution as long as it comes from SE boilers, but a compliant boiler means interpreting the rules in a different way to thousands of other people. . The OP is truly blessed by living in a special tower block of outstanding natural beauty where the pigeons defacate floral tributes and the skylarks decend with the morning milk surrounded by cherub and seraphim praising the landlord for his persistence in maintaining the pastoral way of life in today's post modern urban dystopia.

Adenoids are the least of the Op's worries. General "please someone love me" issues must be paramount. . How many more pages of I'M RIGHT GOD DAMMIT will this cockend persist before he realises he was wrong before he even started?

Hey ho. . I'm stuffed from an incredibly expensive and lovely Italian in Picadilly. Had a good time studying the climate controlled wine cellar for a client who wants me to make one for her.

How are you going to get around the fact that a boiler flue (condensing OR NOT) is not allowed to terminate into/onto land which you do not own?
There is probably a paragraph in the lease permitting it. If there isn't, the lease is defective. This should have been picked up by the Conveyancer.
I checked. This is an oldish attractive block (it is no ex council job, although some of those are done up superbly) and was made-over about 15 to 20 years ago. The only penetration of the walls of the flats were to get gas mains pipe, electric main cable, telephone and a communal aerial in. Also the flues of the combi's, which all discharge onto the common landings at the rear and one side of the block. Nothing penetrates the façade of the block. No overflows from the toilets penetrated the walls as all are on tundishes. Newer toilets overflow into the bowls eliminating tundishes. The combis's high pressure overflow pipe goes into a 3/4 inch brass tundish and away to the old cast-iron soil stack.

The lease states we CANNOT penetrate any external walls without permission. Having seen what messes emerged in other blocks in London with extended flues and condensation drains, the freeholder issued a letter that non-condensing boilers must be fitted stating the nuisance factor of the steam/vapour plume and no extension flues may be fitted as permission will not be granted.

As soon as there is work in any of the flats, according to a neighbour, the caretaker gives a knock to find out what is going on having a friendly word. If plumbing work goes on he mentions no overflows or condensing boilers are to be fitted and tries to get them to repair the combi as he knows all parts are available. Plumbers who do not understand how combis work are usually the ones who say "rip it out". Everyone knows to contact the caretaker if works go on in a flat. He tells the contractors where to put rubbish and if real heavy stuff, he lines the insides of the lift with clip on fabric panels to prevent damage. He makes sure they keep the place clean and no trails of plaster and dirt from the flat to lift and main reception. They have to sign in and out each day. Occasionally he has problems with absent landlords who renovate a flat to rent out. They care not a jot about the building only what level of rent they can get. So this is a well policed and cared for block of which we all appreciate.

I spoke to the caretaker yesterday, after I found I could fit a non-condensing boiler and reading the posts on here. He told me about 4 or 5 years ago one flat had a combi changed to a non-condensing combi and it was a Vaillant. One flat recently wanted to change the combi and then decided, after words with the caretaker, to have the combi's defective parts changed, which was not cheap but he has nearly a new combi. It was cheaper than replacing the combi. My choice is have the combi repaired at great expense, or fit a new non-condensing combi. The only one available to my knowledge, is the Vokera SE, please will others tell us if there are more on special order, which after looking on their web site is very simple not even having a potentially troublesome and expensive to repair three way valve. So I am going to have an SE fitted.

I hope this post clarified matters to all, who can apply what they have learned on this thread bringing this thread to a conclusion.

Sponsored Links
Dan, see my earlier post in this thread. The style and attitude of the OP smacks of our friend from the past, appearing under yet another pseudonym, spouting his usual Drivel! Only he could get a thread to so many pages/posts and disagree with virtually everyone who's responded, and slagging off all those with far superior knowledge to his own in the process! ;)

They are still going on imagining all sorts of mythical people !!! :LOL: Hilarious. I am getting real good laugh out of this. :LOL:
See D Hailsham and denso13's posts about exemptions. Don't take my word for it, LOOK.

If you apologise for trying to belittle law abiding engineers, I'll mention a couple of boilers.

If you apologise for trying to belittle law abiding engineers, I'll mention a couple of boilers.
The apologies are the other way. Many of the "professionals" were proven wrong by mainly D Hailsham not me. For the benefit of others, mention the non-condensing boilers available. I am going for the Vokera SE irrespective because of its simplicity. It is also well priced, but that is not the prime reason for choosing.

D hailsham has never fitted a boiler in his life.
By all means agree with the resident google warrior.
Best of luck.

D hailsham has never fitted a boiler in his life.
He doesn't have to have fitted a boiler, no more than an architect needs to know how to mix concrete. D Hailsham can interpret regulations, as can I, and that is what matters on this thread. I checked out his conclusion and he was right of which many will thank him for who read this thread.

I checked out his conclusion and he was right

He wasn't.

As I said before the owner's preferences don't come in to it, it is the law. If it was a simple as that then all owners, even house owners, could say they won't allow plume kits and condensate pipes etc. and everyone would get an exemption. The flow chart is clear, it isn't difficult to fit a condensing boiler so you should fit one.

I checked out his conclusion and he was right

He wasn't.

As I said before the owner's preferences don't come in to it, it is the law.
Can you show me that law please? You are 100% wrong. No flat owner has the right to fit equipment in someone else's property unless that person or organisation gives permission. That is very simple and fundamental in law. In my case the lease is very specific and later letters have clarified the situation. This will be the case for 99% of blocks of flats. Even in a house you cannot have a plume wafting across a neighbour's open window, so a non-condensing boiler/combi can go in there.

You never read the document, or if you did, you did not understand it. The points system was posted by D Hailsham, which as abundantly clear. The points system makes it very difficult not to fit a condensing boiler in a house, but easy to exempt a flat. Read it and understand it. It is because of the likes of installers like you that the exterior of blocks of flats look a mess these days. Customers are being short changed. Learn the regs and apply them properly please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back