Foolish diesel problem

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drive a diesel van. Today I put unleaded fuel in it.

What do I do now?

Sponsored Links
How much petrol? and what is the total capacity of your tank? Have you driven it until it sputtered to a halt? What model?

The ass (me) has a full tank in Astra van. It did indeed come to a halt and would not start again. Checked reciept and realised what I had done. Feel stupid.

you will have to empty your tank, replace your fuel filter and refill with diesel. Thats what i would do but Im no expert . I know that diesel acts as a lubricant for the fuel (injector) pump and the rubber seals in it dont like petrol so you need to get diesel bask into it asap ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for info. Done that. What does one do with all that fuel that came out of the tank?

That's going to be a bit of a problem, The unleaded is tainted with diesel so no one will buy it, and you have to dispose of it properly, I think you need to call the council, under no circumstances attempt to burn it or pour in into the drains.

Im sure some one will have it off you. If they put a gallons of tainted in their tank and then fill up with good stuff I cant imagine it would do any harm apart from a little smoke ,if any, coming out of the exhaust.

DP said:
Thanks for info. Done that. What does one do with all that fuel that came out of the tank?

bonfire night isnt too far away...

andy said:
DP said:

bonfire night isnt too far away...

As before, under no circumstances attempt to burn it, you'll most likely end up in hospital, or the morgue.

Girl i chatted to outside my sons school did just this last week. She parked her car next to her (diesel) van, syphoned it into the car, just took fuel filter off emptyed it, put i t back, put some real diesel in van cranked it over till it started, fine. No trouble .. the garage wanted £50 to fix it!

Did that myself once, 11 gals of u/l in a nearly m/t diesel tank. Garage were no help at all. Pumped it out 1 gallon at a time on the garage forecourt, giving it away to anyone just to get the can empty again. Took me 3 hours and took the skin off my thumb (no nocturnal DIY for me for a week!)

The stupid thing is that I could have bought two 5 gallon gerry cans from the station and taken the petrol home for my own car/lawn mower. It would have been quicker (just try giving away a gallon of petrol to strangers and see how long it takes) and I'd have 40 quids worth myself.

A lesson learned.

Be careful with late diesels with common rail injection systems.

I've seen fuel pumps seize up with unleaded.

New high pressure pumps have Very fine fitting moving and need the diesel to lubericate them.

VERY EXPENSIVE :(

Woah woah WOAH!

If you read the manual for your diesel Astra, you will see a very important message regarding repressurising the fuel system. It only applies to the diesel one, so I'm sure it's not just there to drum up business for the main dealers.

There must be a good couple of litres of fuel in the lines, pump etc. at any one time, so there is no way you could just turn the engine over a few times to pass it through. So, you'll need to empty it all out, and repressurise the fuel system.

If I were you, I'd take it to a main dealer. Cheaper than a new fuel pump, surely?

Sponsored Links
Back