Footballing Drivel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I understand that not everyone on here appreciates the beautiful game and has no interest In my rant. Over the past couple of years a new language seems to have entered football commentating and it does my fecking head in.

I hold Lineker and his ilk responsible for this abomination, a few examples.

1. "Alan do you think that was a pen."
It's a feckin penalty you ******.

2. Such and such is playing in the hole.
What hole?

3. United are playing with one up top.
On top of what?

4. He played the ball to the back stick.
What feckin stick?

5. Even the Liverpool manager is in on it, he doesn't seem to have a team now, everything is the group this the group that. Has he reformed the Beatles?

As the late great Bill Shankly reputedly said, "football is such a simple game even people that can't read and write can play it."

Let's keep it simple.

:evil:

Sponsored Links
1. "Alan do you think that was a pen."
It's a feckin penalty you ******.

I am in my late 40's and this was around when I was first playing at primary school..........'Pen ref, that was a pen'(not the writing implement) was the cry heard at every game I remember playing in and watching.

I am in my late 40's and this was around when I was first playing at primary school..........'Pen ref, that was a pen'(not the writing implement) was the cry heard at every game I remember playing in and watching.[/quote]

Was Lineker playing in those games?
:D

Sponsored Links
One that seems to have crept in and i frigin hate is adding an ie to the end of players first names, mainly steve, i'm not sure what the players make of it but it does my heed in

One that seems to have crept in and i frigin hate is adding an ie to the end of players first names, mainly steve, i'm not sure what the players make of it but it does my heed in

Like as in Jamie Carragher, then? :)

Like as in Jamie Carragher, then? :)

I believe it originated from phil thomson constantly calling steven gerrard 'stevie' and he and most others now seem add the ie to anyone nowadays

Crank,

Good point, for example Stevie G, made a first class footballer sound like a second rate boyband member. Was it moronic McLaren that started that nonsense?

Crank,

Good point, for example Stevie G, made a first class footballer sound like a second rate boyband member. Was it moronic McLaren that started that nonsense?
Probably right Robgie.

My youngest and his class mates call it a "penna" (?) or "penner" (?).

ANother annoying habit of 'The Football Pundits' is they freeze frame, then add a cross hatched box of an area on the field which is player free, supposedly to highlight a hole in the defence or an unsupported attack, then restart the replay only to show the so called Hole in defence or attack was only there for milli seconds. What is the point??????
Another one is where they attach players together with a graphic line which is dynamic and twists about whilst play progresses and so often includes players who are not even in the move being described. Just an over use of computer graphics which is very impressive but useless in explaining anything about football.

Sponsored Links
Back