For posterity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just started our new build. Last of the footings going in tomorrow. We thought that we should like to leave something under the house for posterity (current newspaper, currency, photographs etc).

We thought it might be a good idea to put this under the beam and block ground floor but wondered what sort of a container we should put it in. Probably needs to be airtight.

Any ideas please ?

Sponsored Links
You could also compile a dvd or cd with video etc of everyday things in 2011.
The last ever space shuttle flight, latest news from around the locality, country, world. Perhaps even some music videos of TOTP. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
What a great idea, local photos would be great, wish I could find some of my house pre. 1959.

Thanks for the ideas (and the encouragement). It's given me a great idea. I actually do videoing and I have mastered (just about !!) the art of editing them. And I have videoed the demolition of the old house and the work so far on the new one. Maybe I'll drive around the village and take some video of that as well.

Thanks.

What about some McDonalds fries, they will still be OK to eat when its dug back up

:LOL: :LOL:

I made this copy years ago for the Royal Naval College...put a sealed freezer box in there with national and local paper and a few photos...plus a chatty letter on where it was made and by who etc.Could be a long time before it's discovered unless it takes a shell or missile from an enemy.

7861ea70.jpg

You could also compile a dvd or cd with video etc of everyday things in 2011.
The problem with leaving any sort of storage material that requires a machine to access is you're reliant on having the machine around in the future. In 100 years time people might uncover a DVD and say "Hey look, its some sort of mirror with a hole in the middle.."

I used to work for an insurance company and by law records were kept going back decades. One time we had to recover archived documents and a lot of it was on computer tape. The tapes were duly recovered from their long term storage box in an old nuclear bunker somewhere, only to find that we'd decommissioned all the tape drives that could read it five years ago and the software to read it was also missing.

I have actually been assured that DVDs won't last forever anyway. But I shall do something using that medium as well as a current newspaper, photos. etc.

We thought that we should like to leave something under the house for posterity (current newspaper, currency, photographs etc).
Any ideas please ?

Don't forget to leave copies of everything written in Polish and Arabic as well, otherwise people living in your house in 100 years won't be able to understand old-fashioned English that used to be spoken in this country. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back