Ford Focus Rear Brakes. Cant remove the drums!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 2000 Focus 1800 estate failed its MOT on rear brakes. I got some new shoes and a wheel cylinder and decided to do the job myself (I have done this before on other cars with no problem)

Having removed the wheel,centre dustcap and wheelnut I cannot remove the drum from the hub. I cannot see a circlip holding the bearing/drum on the hub and the Haynes manual just says take off the nut and remove the drum. I tried fabricating a puller consisting of a piece of 5mm thick steel fitted to the wheel studs with threaded bolt in the centre to try to puch the drum from the hub but still no joy. Have I missed something obvious or should I accept humiliating defeat? Comments/advice or general **** taking appreciated:) Cheers Mike

PS The drum was turning freely-handbrake wasnt on!

Sponsored Links
Is it moving at all? I usually find that a few hefty belts from a soft hammer will do it, don't know about your particular car though.

No movement at all. I would have been a little more encouraged had there been any. In which case I would have gladly continued to T### it even more!

You'll find that the stub axle has rusted onto the bearing inner races, and it should come apart with perserverence.
Officially, you undo the 4 bolts on the back of the hub to release the whole thing, but few people do it, it seems!
John :)

Sponsored Links
You'll find that the stub axle has rusted onto the bearing inner races, and it should come apart with perserverence.
Officially, you undo the 4 bolts on the back of the hub to release the whole thing, but few people do it, it seems!

Cheers John. This clarifys things somewhat. At least I now know I am not going mad and that a circlip isnt lurking somwhere! I will take onboard your advice but will also see if I can hire a puller of somesort as well. Thanks again. :)

Just found a hub puller in Ebay that might just do the trick!:)

I use Machine Marts Clarke CHT 240 puller, and its never failed yet!
In the meantime a good squirt of WD40 along the stub axle does no harm.
Enjoy!

I would change the bearings, if you have to pull or hammer the drums off i have found a couple of weeks later after putting it all back together and using the car the bearings fail, might be worth it and saveing possible repeat work.

On my LDV convoy van, which is twin wheel. It normally takes 30 mins of hitting with a club hammer. They come off in the end. Just don't break anything. A lot of swearing helps aswell. :D

Andy

Good point! :D
Tapping the side of the drum whilst using the puller helps keep the shoes back towards the backplate.

Well it sort of worked. I got a puller, bolted it on and off we went. The centre of the bearing race had practically welded itself to the hub. As the drum was removed the inner section of the bearing remained on the hub whilst the outer part of the bearing (and rollers) remained inside the drum as the circlip gave way! I got the remains of the bearing out from the drum using the puller and a socket and with careful use of an angle grinder I managed to spilt the remining part of the the bearing inner sleeve and remove it from the hub. A quick trip to a local garage saw the new bearing pressed back into the drum (fiver towards the tea fund and no VAT:)) and we will soon be sorted.

With hindsight (as per Johns advice) should have tried the four bolts first but as there is a load of rust and mank it probably wouldnt have worked out anyway.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Back