Ford Focus Zetec 51 plate - problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone please give me some clues relating to my Focus.
First the locking system - the key fob stopped working a while back so I replaced the battery - nothing - so I started using the key manually. This worked OK for a while now the passengers side never unlocks using the key from the outside and the bonnet has also stopped opening using the key. Using on the key on the drivers side will unlock all doors still. Locking from the inside is all fine. Also my drivers side electric window doesn't work although the passengers electric window operates fine. I also have the engine management light on all the time, when I take it to the garage it says the fault can be repaired by replacing the lambda sensors - but I have had both replaced (at separate times) within the last couple of months. My final problem is that when the car has been driving for a while (i.e. engine not cold) as I slow down or stop the speedometer needle goes wild and hits anything up to 140, even though the car might be stationary. At the same time the volume on the radio/CD player increases in sync with the out of control speedometer - so when the speedo hits 140 the volume hits 20. I love the car and don't want to get rid of it but can't afford to spend a fortune on all the repairs - can anyone please help me with some advice on what the problems are and whether I can fix any of them without involving an expensive garage bill. Thanks J

Sponsored Links
A couple of things here.....if the yellow management light is on, find a garage (not necessarily a Ford one) that advertises diagnostic checking - they will use their gear to identify the fault, advise on the solution and turn the light back off again when the job is done. If the light comes on again the fault is still there. I don't use any other than genuine lambda sensors as I've had loads of problems with pattern parts. There is a possibility that your main key is worn out - a common problem - especially as the bonnet lock is a mechanical rather than an electrical device. (A Ford dealer can make you a new one on site). The switch mechanisms placed around the door lock barrel give trouble too. Ford have had some dashboard problems with these - as per the Mondeo - so they should know all about the erratic speedo etc. Maybe its time to look out a dealer that knows what they are doing? Grand motor, the Focus....Good luck with it! Cheers John

Sponsored Links
Back