Ford KA mk1 - fettling and diagnosis - First diy car service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Helping someone fettle their Ford KA mk1 which, you will be surprised to hear, has not rusted to dust.

The last few years it has been a bit unloved and it may not have had a proper service since 2021/2022. Prior to that it was serviced every year by ford going back to new.

Bodywork and under seem to be fine. The only issue it seems to have is that is it a bit hesitant to start.

It takes about three attempts each time, but once it fires, after a tiny bit of (am I going to stall hesitancy) it is fine.

It's the age of a car that a garage service is probably covering most of the value of the car, so I thought it the perfect opportunity to try my hand at a bit of car repair/service diy.

It seems the perfect car to practice on.

So, I was just looking for a bit of diagnosis help. Should I start with a full service? Filters, plugs & oil?

The oil actually still looks golden, so would it still be worth swapping it for new if it has been sat for a year or two?

What could cause the starting hesitancy? The battery might be a bit weak, but it's not the turn over that sounds like it's the issue, it's seems like it's just not getting fuel initially? So....would changing the fuel filter and a bit of redex or millers be advisable?

Thoughts appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Definitely give it a full service, which includes plugs and oil and all filters. It may, or may not have a fuel filter, so do determine that......generally they are just forward of the fuel tank.
You may need a set of HT leads, if this engine has a separate coil pack - photos help here!
Look for air leaks around the inlet manifold from the air hoses that are around there at the same time.
John

Yes, it has a coil pack, and a fuel filter just next to the fuel tank, just before the rear passenger side wheel arch.
Everything is very accessible.

It's the 1.3 Duratec engine (mid 00s).

Last edited:
Everything is very accessible
You haven't had to change a headlamp bulb yet then! ;)

I loved my MK1 Ka - electric green.
The only issues I had with mine, was the power steering pump getting very noisy after 'spirited' city driving, and the hub caps kept getting stolen!

Good. Luck with the service :)

Sponsored Links
Ok, maybe I need to retract my "everything is easy to access".

I was wondering if the issue could related to a dirty MAF sensor. But, being unable to locate anything relating to that, and a bit of digging, it would seem this engine does not have a MAF sensor and only has a MAP sensor, which may also contribute to poor starting.

But, my attempts to correctly locate that are proving fruitless.

ka1.jpg

I found this forum https://www.ultimatereef.net/threads/mechanics-help-ford-ka.396258/

Where someone was having the same trouble......but they say "the MAP sensor is just behind the 1st manifold pipe from the left, next to that is the airbypass valve then the throttle sensor."

I can't see much around the 1st manifold pipe to the left, and what I can see, seems very inaccessible without removing the manifold.

But.....based on their responses, they seem to have no issue accessing and cleaning it. So, now I am wondering if I am looking in the right area.

Anyone help me locate it? My google searches are proving fruitless.

Last edited:
Ahh, I was basing it on this video:

Similar problem presentation. Takes multiple turns to start (different engine though).

So I thought....an easy clean....just one thing to tick off.......if I can find it.

Anyone help me locate it? My google searches are proving fruitless.
Although the StreetKa has a 1.6, I believe it is based on the same duratec unit as the 1.3 - maybe this may get you closer?

Although the StreetKa has a 1.6, I believe it is based on the same duratec unit as the 1.3 - maybe this may get you closer?
Yeh, I saw this one too, my only confusion is that, from what I can see. this is totally inaccessible without removing the manifold. But, that other forum implies it was easy to remove and clean.

But maybe it is there, and the previous post got their left and right mixed up.

Yeh, I saw this one too, my only confusion is that, from what I can see. this is totally inaccessible without removing the manifold.
Did you look at the blown up picture on that thread?
It should be possible to see if something is located in that position! :)

Screenshot_20240316-212258_Chrome.jpg

Looking in the gap between the as per that example picture, there is not the same block of plastic.
ka7.jpg

There is something slightly to the right (different angle of above), but looks much smaller. It could be this. But looks a total pain to remove. Contrary to how easy that forum post made it sound.
ka8.jpg

Then there is another plug, but this is more central, behind the manifold. Again, very hard to get to.
ka9.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back