ford ka squeal from engine in wet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I have a 1998 ford ka. When the roads are wet and I accellerate sometimes I get a screech from the engine.

I thought that it would be a fan belt slipping, however, I have looked around the radiator and I can't see a fan belt!!

Could it be that the timing belt is slipping and needs replacing?

I there anything else that could cause this?

thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links
loose rubber belt that drives the alternator.

you will find the squeals gets louder/quieter when you turn the headlamps on/off.

it won't be the cambelt as it has teeth.

The fans of modern cars are driven by electric motors so there is no fan belt as such. There is usually an auxiliary drive belt to turn alternator, power steering pump, air con etc. Don't know details for your Ka. Look on the side of the engine rather than the front.

The timing belt will be under a sturdy cover and not open to the elements. It is toothed and cannot slip unless there has been a catastrophic failure in belt tension. If it does slip the engine will not work and is likely to be severely damaged. What I am saying is it's not your timing belt.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

At least my engine isn't about to explode!

Do I need to replace the alternator belt then?

Looking back it only happens when headlights are on!

Thank again!

just tighten it unless it is worn and reaching the bottom of the grooves. If you are going to replace it, the best time is on a dry sunny day at home when you have all your tools about you, not in the middle of the night when it's raining and it's just broken.

See your workshop manual for how to do it

http://search.ebay.co.uk/ford-ka-haynes_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi, i have the same issue and the haynes manual.
In order to reach the tensioner on the ka it seems you have to remove the right hand side headlamp and inorder to do that it seems that you have to remove the front bumper, this seems a bit of a process to just gain access to it so i was wondering if anyone knows if there is an easier way or if this is the correct procedure?

Sponsored Links
Back