Ford KA unexplaned revving!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

When I push the cluth in my KA, the engine continues t high revs even though I have released the throttle. I seems as though the accelerator is still being pushed although it is not.

I have got round this by letting the accelerator up ages before changing gear to let the revs drop before I push the clutch, altought this is far from idea.

As soon as I put load on the engine by letting the clutch up the revs start to behave, but if I keep the cutch depressed the engine continues to rev high but eventually dies away (after about 5-10 seconds).

The car was doing this for a couple of hours and stopped but it has done it before. So the problem seems to be intermittent.

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on? My initial guess was a sticking throttle cable, but this is just a guess.

Thanks guys.

Matt

Sponsored Links
It's an engine management problem. Could be a sensor.

You haven't given any clues about engine type.

It's got the Endure E engine that the older KAs and fiestas have. 1.3i.

EMS. Sounds expensive.

Is the engine management light on?
If it is a sticking throttle cable then when you lift the bonnet and operate the other end of the cable, (possibly on the air intake manifold) does it act correctly?
Could be a number of things, my car (mondeo) was revving itself and was due to a missing cover from a butterfly valve on the air intake manifold.

Sponsored Links
I don't think that the EMS light is on but to be honest, I don't know if the KA has an EMS light without checking the manual.

I will check the throttle cable but I suspect that perhaps something less obvious will turn out to be the cause.

You could do a lot worse than buying the Haynes manual for your car.

Got a Haynes manual.

Sadly, I don't know what to fix because I don't know what is causing the problem.

Haven't looked at that fault finding section yet, but form memory I can't remember the manual mentioning this specific problem.

Common fault on modern fords (2000's)

Either

Throttle Posistion Sensor is duff or speed sensor is duff or both.

One looks at the other to determin/adjust engine speed. If the throttle is closed and the duff speed sensor thinks its moving it raises the engine speed. Happened both on my Focus and GF's fiesta. Not expensive c£30 part each labour charges cheap for throttle, more expensive for speed sensor.

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my Ford Focus 1.8 16v Zetec.

My local garage had a feeling it was the Throttle Potentiometer, but upon replacing it, found it did not solve the revs.

They were stumped...

But following advice from Ford, they altered the Throttle Potentiometer.

I don’t understand all they did, but the Potentiometer is meant to remain at a fixed position. However to resolve the high revs, they managed to change the voltage at idle to be 0.4v and when the Throttle is depressed to 0.6v.

This did cure the high revs i was experiencing and it has been fine for over 2 years now.

Hope it helps...

Mr Mc.

Thanks guys.

The KA is a 1998 R Reg. so not a 2000 one.

I drove it again this morning and it was running like a dream.

If a part like a sensor was faulty would the problem be intermittant like the one I am experiencing?

Had a similar problem with daughter Ka,turned out common fault air control valve fitted to carb system, they get bunged up.£40 or so from ford easy to fit.
Ka also had problem of cutting out due to air fuel mix inncorrect.

Idle air control valve , which sits on the throttle housing, normally controlled with a two wire plug, long cylinder looking on the fords i think

i had this problem with mine, eventually the engine starts to cut out when you thrash it, i just took off the idle air control valve washed it out with a bit of WD40 and its worked like a gem since,

o yea anyone know of a set of cosworth wheels for sale?
sixteens would be great

Sponsored Links
Back