Ford Mondeo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my mk3 Ford Mondeo has a problem. When I got it, it was burning a bity of oil but then it started running on 3 cylinders, my garage tried a new set of plugs but that only worked for a day, was told that one of the plugs was oiling up? been quoted £500 to repair it, New piston rings, timing belt etc? Does this sound right? Just want to know that if I spend £500, my car's going to be fixed. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Before you dive in.....
The garage must check the compression on each cylinder - they should be around 220 psi and they must all be nearly equal. If they are not, then one cylinder could have faulty piston rings or a valve with a burnt out seat.
If your engine was burning oil before then this could be down to worn cylinder bores or valve stem seals...if the engine chuffs a lot of blue/white smoke on start up then its the latter.
I suspect that your engine has a good many miles on it - and spending lots on the engine isn't the way to go. Have you priced a second hand engine?
Ask the garage what they think.
John :)

I mentioned this to the garage, not the guy who quoted me but the guy that fitted the new plugs and he said I would be interfering with the "brain" of the car, as it's specific to that engine. What would I expect to pay for a second hand engine?

Sponsored Links
I must confess that I have no practical experience of fitting a S/H engine to a vehicle...at least not for years anyway!
However, I don't see how this should be such an issue if the (petrol) engine is exchanged like for like - after all the solid metal bits are the same!
The immobiliser and keys are programmed to its own ECU, granted, but the sensors etc around the engine shouldn't be an problem.
At that point I'll have to bale out of your query....maybe others will know better as I don't want to lead you up any garden path.
The original problem remains though....if your engine is burning oil due to cylinder wear then it needs a rebore and oversize pistons fitted. I don't see how this can be financially viable.

I think that's what i'm trying to decide, has the car any value? or do I just take my £100 odd from the scrappie?

Personally speaking I'd cut my losses and run.....there's plenty of good cars out there that could give you good service.
Unfortunately, lots of cheap motors have gone due to the Governments scrappage scheme.

Back