Ford S Max - Wiring Loom Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a Ford S Max - Titanium, 2013

About 10 days ago it started playing up - initially the alarm was coming on for no reason, then I had an Engine Malfuncton error on the dash, airbag light was on.

Took it to local garage - they did initial diagnosis and this showed a throttle position sensor error. They couldn’t repair this so suggested taking it to local Ford dealer for more in-depth analysis.

Before I could take it there, another issue arose - car would not start - AA guy for it started after finding an error code relating to the alternator which he managed to bypass.

The Ford garage have now diagnosed the issue as corrosion damage that requires the “wire loom” to be replaced. Quote for repair (parts and Labour) is £2500 which seems very high.

Here’s a link to their diagnostic video which shows the damage - https://video.citnow.com/vtVmgt0MsVL

Anyone able to advise if this seems a reasonable quote?

Sponsored Links
It does seem high to me.

Have you scoped out the cost of a new loom and Body Control Module? And second hand parts?

And now you have a diagnosis, what would your indy garage charge to fit them?

I think this is the sort of issue that can go absolutely haywire - costs wise. Ford obviously don't know what the fault is, so are about to embark on replacing stuff until the fault goes, and there's no guarantee of that.
It's a difficult one....personally I'd start by checking all of the block connectors on the loom (there are loads) and specifically looking for green verdegris on any of the terminals.
Finding a good auto electrician could be a good move......they have far more experience than most with such things.
John :)

Just a thought......Ford have had a notorious connection fault on the main fuse boards, in particular the two large multiplugs feeding them.
Focus owners know all about this one so it could be a place to start!
John :)

Sponsored Links
John, the guy in the video shows the BCM burnt out and the plug attached to loom. I suppose there could be other issues

I agree with you - just that there’s other odd issues affecting this car that wouldn’t be caused by a control module alone......that alternator problem for example.
John

I just know that weird things happen when faults appear. I mean, the BCM should not affect the alternator, but could it?

I had a fault on my '02 Octavia.....the glow plug light would come on and flash randomly and there was power loss. The car would go into limp-home mode.

Issue with the glow plugs?

Of course not!

The problem was traced to a faulty brake light switch!

That car had BUS wiring too.

Also, dropping voltages can cause all sorts of faults to appear.

Were I you, then I would find a local auto electrician, show him the video and ask if he might be able to fit a replacement plug to you loom. Then look at the BCU should it need it. I suspect you could get a used one, but it would likely need reprogramming to match the car. Alternatively, there are companies who can refurb and repair BCU's.

I would suggest the alternator issue, is a result of the above issue.

Sponsored Links
Back