Forget staying close to EU after Brexit, chancellor tells business

Sponsored Links
a lot can go wrong.
It wont though, will it

The hard brexit that this gov wants will force things to go wrong, there is no choice

-customs border in Ireland: the more divergence, the more severe will be the checks
-businesses will face significant costs due to trade barriers exporting and importing to our most imortant and nearest export market.
-a loss of power inevitably means weakness in trade negotiations, where UK will be forced to accept poor deals. USA will insist on UK opening pharma and agricultural markets.

Says the bloke who says this...

"Considering Brexit is certain to cause an economic downturn in the short term before the UK can begin to benefit from the new emerging growth markets instead of the mature shrinking EU market, it would seem to me older people that voted Brexit have created a situation that will have a negative impact on themselves and a better long term future for the youngsters."

Suck it up you turncoat loser.:ROFLMAO:

Where did I say that?

If you were quoting from one of my posts your quote would include the link.

Says the bloke who says this...

"Considering Brexit is certain to cause an economic downturn in the short term before the UK can begin to benefit from the new emerging growth markets instead of the mature shrinking EU market, it would seem to me older people that voted Brexit have created a situation that will have a negative impact on themselves and a better long term future for the youngsters."

Suck it up you turncoat loser.:ROFLMAO:

Where did I say that?

If you were quoting from one of my posts your quote would include the link.

Considering Brexit is certain to cause an economic downturn in the short term before the UK can begin to benefit from the new emerging growth markets instead of the mature shrinking EU market, it would seem to me older people that voted Brexit have created a situation that will have a negative impact on themselves and a better long term future for the youngsters.

I cant speak for retired plumbers, they are probably soaking up the Spanish sunshine.

Sponsored Links
https://www.ft.com/content/18ddc610-3940-11ea-a6d3-9a26f8c3cba4

Forget staying close to EU after Brexit, chancellor tells business

Asked how regulatory divergence might impact industries such as automotive and pharmaceuticals with intricate supply chains spanning Europe, Mr Javid said: “Japan sells cars to the EU but they don’t follow EU rules.”

He added: “We’re also talking about companies that have known since 2016 that we are leaving the EU. Admittedly, they didn’t know the exact terms.”

Brexit in a nutshell, he has no clue whatosever.

Sunderland voters hope you are getting ready for Universal Credit. (y)
Businesses that want to continue selling to the EU will continue to follow EU standards.

Those that don't want to sell the to EU will be free to follow whatever UK standard applies.

As all UK standards currently align with EU standards, it's going to take quite a while for any divergence to become significant and divergence will only take place if there is a tangible benefit.

Its not the big deal that people are making of it.

Thank you for the quoting although I still had to search: it was from a post in November 2017.

It just proves that intelligent people have the ability to change their view if the overwhelming evidence proves they were originally wrong.

I admit I was taken in with the emotive simplistic soundbites and Ive made on secret of the fact I voted to leave.

At the time I fell for the argument that we must leave because the EU is bad.....well the EU does have some major flaws.

However, what I had not considered and what is missing from virtually every leavers argument is the comparison of staying in a flawed EU to the Brexit destination is.

every trade expert and trade negotiator makes it clear the brexit destination is far far worse.

The problem with the premise that we can take advantage of growth markets better than the EU is incorrect - the growth markets would like access to a market about 1/6 the size of the EU. The only way we can sweeten the deal for these growth markets is lowering standards with the knock on effect on the UK own industries.

Businesses that want to continue selling to the EU will continue to follow EU standards.

Those that don't want to sell the to EU will be free to follow whatever UK standard applies.

As all UK standards currently align with EU standards, it's going to take quite a while for any divergence to become significant and divergence will only take place if there is a tangible benefit.

lol So we still follow standards we have no say in how they are set. Brilliant move.

What about the added costs of trading that will not be frictionless - the need for more documentation and checks to ensure when we say we are following the standards we are.

Another Singapore on the Thames fantasist.

Meeting the standards isn't a huge deal (for most industries, but not all, medicines are different for example) the idea that any products might not is a very big deal. If we produce stuff to a lower standard than the EU, or allow import of it, then the EU will want to be sure we don't ship it to them.

Which is why the Irish sea border is coming in and as soon as we ditch the EU standards you'll see Dover turn into a car park.

As all UK standards currently align with EU standards, it's going to take quite a while for any divergence to become significant and divergence will only take place if there is a tangible benefit

unfortunately you have incorrectly understood the true position:

The majority of trade friction between the UK and EU kicks in the moment the UK has the option to diverge from EU rules, even if in practice it never does

So it matters little that on day one of a new EU-UK FTA, all UK rules and regulations would be the same as the EU’s. Once the UK leaves the EU’s single market rule book and institutions, British exports to the EU will broadly be treated as if they came from any EU FTA partner. The British government claims to have accepted that gaining the freedom to regulate as it sees fit will mean new trade friction. But it is not yet clear that businesses and the public have understood what this means in practice.

here is the full article, by Sam Lowe (SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW, International trade, European trade policy, rules of origin, the single market, Brexit, environmental co-operation, investor-state dispute settlement)

https://www.cer.eu/insights/flexibility-does-not-come-free

nearly 50% of UK exports are to the EU.
establishing new markets is difficult and slow see UK trying to export lamb to Japan since they lifted the ban on sheep and beef.
and if you look at global trade, the majority of trading partners happens with those countries that are closest to one another.
The UK is 30mins away from the EU by train.

UK arent free to apply whatever standards they like just because they may be free of the EU rulebook.

Try looking at the great difficulties of compliance with regulations in services -try looking at the issues related to banking for example.

Its not the big deal that people are making of it
trade experts disagree with you.

unfortunately you have incorrectly understood the true position:

The majority of trade friction between the UK and EU kicks in the moment the UK has the option to diverge from EU rules, even if in practice it never does

So it matters little that on day one of a new EU-UK FTA, all UK rules and regulations would be the same as the EU’s. Once the UK leaves the EU’s single market rule book and institutions, British exports to the EU will broadly be treated as if they came from any EU FTA partner. The British government claims to have accepted that gaining the freedom to regulate as it sees fit will mean new trade friction. But it is not yet clear that businesses and the public have understood what this means in practice.

here is the full article, by Sam Lowe (SENIOR RESEARCH FELLOW, International trade, European trade policy, rules of origin, the single market, Brexit, environmental co-operation, investor-state dispute settlement)

https://www.cer.eu/insights/flexibility-does-not-come-free
I am intimately familiar with the true position as i manufacture a product that requires notified body approval to CE mark. Whilst part of the EU, that notified body was based in the UK. As we are leaving the EU, the notified body approval has now been transferred to a notified body based in Holland. The true position will become clear in time, but the Dutch notified body is offering the service to give approval to CE mark and UKCA mark in the same assessment, which is easy whilst the standards remain aligned. I don't see the standards diverging until the EU starts imposing changes that we will not adopt, and they'd have to be silly changes for us not to adopt them. With that particular product, its easier to remain aligned.

I expect more paperwork once the transition period has passed. But i don't see it as a reason to stop selling into EU countries.

We also sell the same product in the UK. There will be a cost to the extra paperwork to sell to the EU, but i don't see it as prohibitive. However, our competitors selling from the EU to the UK will suffer the same extra paperwork to export to the UK.

Where it becomes more complicated is we also manufacture a product where we self certify to CE mark. Whilst we are in the EU we can sell the product across the EU. Once we leave, we would have to have notified body approval. However, we don't sell to the EU because the UK and EU market has not aligned. European standards went mad and created a very energy hungry product. In the UK, we chose to not comply with the BSEN standard and continued with the common sense, fit for purpose approach.

Which is why in that particular market, very few companies import a competing product because the BSEN complying products are more expensive to buy and run.

I don't claim to have much knowledge with regard to the service industry outside of my own. However, i expect to set up a service and maintenance company within the EU to enable us to easily continue to offer servicing and maintenance. We've been planning that for a while as it would be easier to operate that way any way but haven't got round to it. We'll just have to now though.

Last edited:
Well the engine one will go eventually, petrol and diesel are going the way of the Dodo. But you can't blame Brexit for that.

The factory only produces the Corolla at the moment. The next nearest Toyota factory producing the Corolla is in Turkey. So the question for Toyota is: is Turkey closer aligned to the EU than the UK? If it is then we'll probably lose the factory entirely.

Or they may decide to take production wholly back to japan.

EU starts imposing changes that we will not adopt, and they'd have to be silly changes for us not to adopt them. With that particular product, its easier to remain aligned

So despite brexit your company will choose regulatory alignment as its easier and cheaper.

I expect more paperwork once the transition period has passed. But i don't see it as a reason to stop selling into EU countries

Becoming a 3rd country autimatically introduces trade friction, that makes UK business less competitive. My understanding is that EU customers will start to look to neighbouring countries within the single market which will be frictionless and could therefire be cheaper and proably with shorter lead times.

Indeed you are correct the UK and NI notified bodies will automatically lose their status so CE certification will have to be done in Europe.

Im jot sure if CE certification is the same as legal responsibility:
the moment the UK is outside of the EU’s single market, even if British producers continue to produce to EU standards, they will not be able to place them directly on the European market. Instead they will need an EU-established entity to take on the legal responsibility for ensuring the product complies with EU product rules. This could be the EU-based importer or an EU-based legal representative of the British company. No longer being able to place products directly on the EU market creates an additional cost for British businesses selling to Europe, no matter what the UK’s domestic regime. Whether the UK then decides to introduce its own product standards (as is currently the ambition), or accepts certain US standards, the barriers facing British exporters selling to the EU remain the same

Given that the EU is our mist important export market, I find it hard to see how the extra cost of trade barriers can be outweighed by any better trade deals we might get elsewhere. Our big potential markets, US abd China wont give the UK great trade deals, we are too small and laxk the power to exert influence, the reciprocity wont flow equally.

What are the advantages that come with this extra paper work and cost required for business with Europe?

Not being told what to do by the EU???

Sponsored Links
Back