Forget staying close to EU after Brexit, chancellor tells business

Sponsored Links
Way I see it some in here are displaying a selfish attitude to any US trade deal

Deal with the US means lower custom charges being levied on importing car parts :cool:

So we have to take chlorinated chicken

Who cares I say :):sneaky::sneaky:
Small price to pay ;)

Deal with the US means lower custom charges being levied on importing car parts
Who TF would want automotive dross from the USA? Considering the amount of years they have had developing their industry, their motors are ludicrously bad. A joke, really.

No it means we can begin a trade deal..

The US will insist on a level playing field.

Brexiteers bang on about not taking EU rules......but forget we will be forced to take on someone elses rules instead

Brexit = NOT take back control

Sponsored Links
The UK had 73 out of the 751 Member of the European Parliament (MEPs)

Helping to set the rules.

How many members of the US Congress will we have?

Thank you for the quoting although I still had to search: it was from a post in November 2017.

It just proves that intelligent people have the ability to change their view if the overwhelming evidence proves they were originally wrong.

No it doesn't, it proves you lied.

No it doesnt, you are clutching at straws.

Ive said many times I voted to leave, my posts back in 2017 shortly after I joined, confirm that.

The 'lie' was a couple of pages back where you denied having made the claim, when you were 'rumbled' you came back with some nonsense about how clever you were.

The 'lie' was a couple of pages back where you denied having made the claim, when you were 'rumbled' you came back with some nonsense about how clever you were.

Incorrect

Point out where I denied anything

Way I see it some in here are displaying a selfish attitude to any US trade deal

Deal with the US means lower custom charges being levied on importing car parts :cool:

So we have to take chlorinated chicken

Who cares I say :):sneaky::sneaky:
Small price to pay ;)
Chlorinated chicken is a small thing. US drug prices are a big thing.

Thankfully i don't have cancer so don't need to worry about the drug prices being cranked up and them being dropped from the NHS.

These trade deals are all about the details. The US negotiators are well funded and experienced. We don't really have a negotiation team. The US doesn't need a trade deal with us much, we need one.

Who TF would want automotive dross from the USA? Considering the amount of years they have had developing their industry, their motors are ludicrously bad. A joke, really.

Are they really that bad? I drove a pontiac firebird in florida 28 years ago and have yet to see anything match it 28 years on.
They make fantastic tractors. Probably the best tractor in the world and a contractors favourite ....
285px-John_Deere_8345_R.jpg

They make fantastic tractors
Caterpillar make great earth moving machines.

Have you tried parking either at Tesco?

Q. Have you ever wondered why European (read German) and Japanese cars are so popular in the States yet their sales in reverse look dire by comparison?

A. Because American cars are shoite.

Last edited:
. Have you ever wondered why European (read German) and Japanese cars are so popular in the States

USA is Germanys biggest car export market.

And 800,000 German cars were made in the USA last year.....so there is also a huge parts exports G to USA

So despite brexit your company will choose regulatory alignment as its easier and cheaper.

Becoming a 3rd country autimatically introduces trade friction, that makes UK business less competitive. My understanding is that EU customers will start to look to neighbouring countries within the single market which will be frictionless and could therefire be cheaper and proably with shorter lead times.

Indeed you are correct the UK and NI notified bodies will automatically lose their status so CE certification will have to be done in Europe.

Im jot sure if CE certification is the same as legal responsibility:
the moment the UK is outside of the EU’s single market, even if British producers continue to produce to EU standards, they will not be able to place them directly on the European market. Instead they will need an EU-established entity to take on the legal responsibility for ensuring the product complies with EU product rules. This could be the EU-based importer or an EU-based legal representative of the British company. No longer being able to place products directly on the EU market creates an additional cost for British businesses selling to Europe, no matter what the UK’s domestic regime. Whether the UK then decides to introduce its own product standards (as is currently the ambition), or accepts certain US standards, the barriers facing British exporters selling to the EU remain the same

Given that the EU is our mist important export market, I find it hard to see how the extra cost of trade barriers can be outweighed by any better trade deals we might get elsewhere. Our big potential markets, US abd China wont give the UK great trade deals, we are too small and laxk the power to exert influence, the reciprocity wont flow equally.

At the moment we will align with the EU standards on one product for the forseeable future, we don't align on another product that we mainly sell in the UK and do export a bit but not to the EU and we are in the process of aligning with both EU and US standards on a third product that we manufacture on a subcontract basis.

With my EU export product we are setting up a company in Holland that will act as our distributor, which was something we had planned anyway. As we have a sales office there anyway, its not much more admin. We will then have notified body approval in the Eu and a legal entity in the EU which covers both bases. We all buy products that are manufactured all over the world already and don't bat an eyelid when buying a car made in Japan, a TV made in South Korea or clothes made in Bangladesh. I don't see that the 'friction' to trade will be significant. If the product is good, well priced and properly supported, people will buy it.

The reality is that we had to have notified body accreditation anyway for that poduct. The fact that our notified body is now in Holland doesn't make too much difference. We may also have to have notified body approval in the UK in time ot cover our UK sales, but that remains to be seen.

As we have a fully equipped sheet metal factory we also sell some of that capacity to other companies by making metal parts for them on a subcontract basis. Our biggest subcontract customer has started to export their product to the USA in anticipation of reduced tariffs. We are already seeing an increase in business from them which will only grow if tarriffs are reduced which will help reduce their selling price in the US.

We already have our own standards organisation and what removing the need to align with the EU does is allow is to develop our own standards. I expect that some products will remain aligned and others will diverge. Not that standards are the the be all and end all in the product world anyway. Our biggest output product takes guidance from appropriate standards to assist with complying with the essential health and safety requirements of the machinery directive, but does not comply in entirety with any standard. We comply with the useful bits in the main standard, comply with bits of other appropriate standards and demonstrate compliance with the machinery directive in other ways on various aspects of our machines.

Now i come to think of it, our export product doesn't comply in full with its relevant standard either. The areas where it diverges are assessed by our notified body and underwritten as complying with the machinery directive, hence the CE mark.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back