Forgetting names

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've usually got a pretty good memory when it comes to names but the other day I couldn't remember the name of one of my cousins and I rarely remember TV characters' names. That could be seen as getting old but I'm really not that old, and I think the TV thing comes from not being overly interested in the shows.

In the Yorkshire jokes thread, I saw someone had written
'appy, 'appy
and this reminded me of one of my best friends in school whose nickname was 'Happy', because he had a miserable looking face. The problem is, I now can't remember his real name.
This has also made me remember another good school friend that I sat next to in several lessons, whose name I had forgotten when I returned to school the first day after the summer holidays one year. I felt so bad that I avoided talking to him until I heard another friend say his name - it was Grant. :oops:

I still can't remember 'Happy's' name but, who is the most obvious person's name that you have forgotten, when face to face, and how did you get around it?

Sponsored Links
Years ago, before I was old, I bumped into someone in the street who was most enthusiastic about seeing me and we then spent several minutes reminiscing about where we used to work and the workmates there.
Then it was "Great to see you again, blah, blah, blah".

I had no idea who he was, let alone his name.

Haha...my father-in-law has people bumping into him all the time and they always ask him if he's still driving a truck for a local haulage company. He tells me he's never driven one in his life and doesn't know any of those people. I suppose he must have a doppelgänger for so many people to think the same!l

My dad was walking along Brighton seafront once (a long time ago) when a child ran up to him and said 'You are Chalky white of the Daily Mirror and I claim my ten pounds' (anyone remember Chalky White?). Obviously it wasn't him but he gave the kid some money anyway.

Sponsored Links
Although not a human name question, but can anyone remember the toy from the 1970's which involved a frame and by running a pointer at one end of the frame, a mirror image copy could be made at the other? The simplest way of describing the frame is that it sort of looked like the masonic compass and square emblem.

Edit - found it. A sketch a graph, which is a type of pantograph.

Last edited:
Stopped posting (ill) on here a while back. Came back and forgot my username :oops:

I often see people when out and think "I know that face - cant add a name to it though"....

t;s got so bad that now I just don't bother trying to remember names, I just try to remember the reason I know them.

I find that there are certain celebrities, actors or musicians that I can never remember their names no matter how famous they are and others that I can recall instantly. Is it a case of people not looking like what they are called?

Sponsored Links
Back