Forgot to wash off wallpaper paste!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my haste to get the job done I forgot to wash off the wallpaper paste left after removal of a vinyl border below the coving. I have only given the wall one thinnned coat of white Dulux Matt. Can I go over this with Zinnser Gardz and continue painting, or should I rub off the paint, apply Gardz and re-paint? I can clearly see the line where the border paper was although there appeared to be very little paste residue after stripping.

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to sand it away first, see what others suggest first before doing it as I've never had to do this before so therefore never seen any results after.

I prefer a broad metal scraper to sandpaper. It is cleaner and quicker. Wet the surface first. Keep scraping the sludge off the blade.

Sponsored Links
from what you describe, you have painted the paste, not the wall.

I prefer a broad metal scraper to sandpaper. It is cleaner and quicker. Wet the surface first. Keep scraping the sludge off the blade.

There was no sludge really - That would have alerted me. Its just that I didn't wash the wall to remove any thin residue. i'd hate to have to start again but don't want to regret it. Guardz over the painted surface?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back