Forming a new inspection chamber

Is this chamber going to be on an existing straight run? I'd be half tempted just to (carefully) cut the top half of the existing pipe off, use that for a channel. (Obviously pack underneath with concrete to form the base for the chamber.)

As long as the laterals are angled into direction of flow, sit snugly on top of the edge of the new channel, and benching opposite is done correctly to avoid any build up of detritus, I would have thought this would suffice. If the laterals are going to be private (your house only) could you do those in plastic pipework?

Sponsored Links
All lateral pipes are mine, my understanding was the inspection chamber had to be clay pipe and cast concrete/brick chamber. After that I'll be running my own stuff in plastic.

My concern with cutting the top half is that the salt glaze pipe is 600mm long, the way my walls have worked out means I'll have an old joint in the middle of the inspection chamber and be tight to other existing joints to try and place the flexible couplings required just outside the inspection chamber.

Hmmm, may have to dig back a bit further then to get the flexi's where you need them, and then come into the chamber with appropriate length of Supersleve. I'd check on the laterals, if they want clay into the chamber, then lay a full length clay pipe as required to exit the chamber and go from that in plastic, no point cutting for the sake of it.

Inspection chamber was finished this afternoon. Here is a picture.

IMG_20161023_162523.jpg

My first inspection chamber so might not be perfect but hopefully it'll do. I laid the lateral in plastic as it's much cheaper and easier.

I have the original inspection chamber still operational but that'll be coming out once I've purchased an 11° bend because I didn't take into account the way the run changed within the chamber. Need to pipe up about 1m or so once I remove the original chamber.

Will the BCO want to see everything in the trenches?

Sponsored Links
Looks good, if you want to backfill your trenches just take some pictures.

Well done bud, looks good.

Yeah, BCO will wanna have a squint at the connections etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back