Forming the door reveals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all iv just ordered my upvc doors i measured the internal block for the size of the door and frame i have slighty messed up a bit because i wanted to put insulation up the sides of the reveals behind the plasterboard to stop condensation forming but i did nt allow for the door hinges to be stuck out so far on to the frame does any one know if it ll be ok to not put the insulation in and just plasterboard there instead please help

Sponsored Links
Is condensation at the jambs a problem, or are you just trying to prempt a problem?

Get some of the foam, foil faced insulation panel which is sold for fitting behind radiators. Its less than 4mm thick.

Put this on the wall, and then fit some plasterboard

hi woody thanx for yr advice there is nt a problem with condensation just trying to prevent it from happening iv got some 25mm kingspan do you think it ll be ok to cut that down to 4mm save me buying more insulation as iv got stacks of that stuff about thanx again nathan

Yes you can cut it down, but if there is no problem now then I would not bother.

Sponsored Links
Hi woody the annex im converting is a garage at the moment with 6" solid concrete blocks im putting plastic put the walls then 2x2 and 45mm kingspan in between each stud and then 100mm in between the rafters of a flat roof do you think there ll be any chance of condensation forming if not i wont bother putting it in the jambs what would yr advice be much appriecced nathan

I don't think there would be condensation forming here, but there are a few variables involved.

As you are doing other work, it certainly wont do any harm, and it wont be much trouble to put a bit of insulation in.

Measure your door frame and hinge, and determine what space you have left for insulation and plasterboard.If need be you can use 9.5mm plasterboard up the reveal, which would either give more room or allow more insulation.

The set back of the frame will also help stop the potential for condensation - ie the further back the less chance. If there is a vertical DPC, then the frame should bridge this. If not set the frame back enough without it looking "wrong" - normally at least 35mm, but it depends how thick the wall is

hi woody thank you very much for yr advice i installed thr frame today and put 5 mm of insulation in the reveal so there is enought room for plaster board and skim so hope it all works as it should thanx once again NATHAN

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back