Found £6.5k in the woods? Hand it to Police? Don't bother

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't find a link online, but this story was in our local paper today.

A lad playing in some woods found £6.5k "hidden" in the ground. He took it home and his mom did the honest thing and handed it in to Police. No-one claimed the money, so Magistrates ordered it to be given back to the woman.

Now here is the sad bit.

The Police objected and petitioned to the county court that the money "was likely" to be proceeds from crime and therefore should not be given back. Apparently, its now common for dealers to stash wads of cash in local woods :rolleyes:

A Judge accepted the argument and ordered the cash be retained.
Luckily for the Police, in situations like this they get half of the money :eek:

So that's over £3k coming to Warwickshire Police for doing nothing, and nothing for the lady for being honest.

But a Police spokesperson, said that they would "probably" be giving half of this back to the woman

So she will end up getting the proceeds of crime back after all, but not before sharing it with the Police and the Government. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the Police will use the money to pay their Bulldog Bash overtime bill?

So if you find some money from now on, ask yourself if you should be honest with it

Sponsored Links
Could be a blessing as it could have resulted in late night visit asking for it back.
Personally would not have handed it back unless it was found out it had been stolen

finders keepers :D

I would come to the same conclusion as the rozzers. Its from crime.. so its fair game in my book!

no normal person would stash 6k+ in the woods so if you find it keep it,it must be dodgy money.

Sponsored Links
i couldnt "steal" money no matter where it was from i would have to hand it in
anybobdy that says otherwise needs to look at themselves and ask if there attitude is aiding the problems in society in general :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Certainly a percentage reward for the finder wouldn't be unreasonable. The residue should be put into the pot available for victims of crimes (which should be given towards assisting at least with the "excess" clauses in insurance claims)

thers such a thing as "THEFT BY FINDING"

not finders keepers :evil:

Actually there are both.

And if I was the finder I'd be the keeper :D :D

To redress the balance, I always drop 1p`s on the ground :eek: , near bus stops. Petrol station forecourts.outside job centres. Then watch the oldies struggle to bend and pick them up. :LOL: :evil:

To redress the balance, I always drop 1p`s on the ground :eek: , near bus stops. Petrol station forecourts.outside job centres. Then watch the oldies struggle to bend and pick them up. :LOL: :evil:
What about around university campuses? Far more potentially pleasant sights to be seen there

Sponsored Links
Back