Foundation for Column

R

richard7761

Shown is a drawing or representation of a brick column (X -Z) 35Cm x 22Cm holding up one end of an "I" beam (X-Y) that spans 245Cm.

The "I" beam supports the ends of a series of ceiling beams, the other ends supported by walls. The beams themselves are NOT one continuous length from wall to wall, they overlap or are side-by-side at the "I" beam.

What regulation or calculation tells you how large to make the concrete foundation?

I'm seeking to know the depth of the foundation and the thickness of the concrete foundation.

If anyone is willing to give me figures, then fine, but if not, I'd be happy if someone can point to the regulation or calculation that would help me determine what the foundation specification should be.

Note that we are dealing with a house and above the ceiling beams are bedrooms.

Thanks Rich

Sponsored Links
We are talking pad footings.

Not much to find about pad footings in regulations, mostly strip footings.

Anyway, since I'm on sand and gravel, footing that is 1 metre deep, 500mm x 500mm, filled with concrete up to say at least 150mm would be adequate.

And even better if filled up to 500mm.

Presumably you have had an SE design the steel beam and brick pier. If so, they should have given you a detail of the pad foundation.

There's nothing mysterious about designing a pad foundation, but it does depend on the load through the column base and the load bearing capacity of the soil. Do you know those details?

Sponsored Links
This topic can be ignored. It's now somewhat irrelevant.

Wiill post another topic more appropriate to my situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back