Foundations Help and Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My first post on this forum which has given me plenty of information so far!

My Plan;

I currently have a 10 year old 2 bed terrace house and wish to add a conservatory to the rear. The first issue i have is approx 300mm from my boundarys is 2 small round inspection chambers one each side (one for kitchen waste and one for bathroom and downstairs toilet). The only service my property and these have a slight angle pointing towards the middle of my garden. My proposed conservatory size is 2750mm x 4000mm (almost the whole width of house bar 300mm each side)
The problem i have is the run is going the same direction as i would need to add foundations. I am not sure if i can lintal over these pipes to bear the weight as these are so close to my boundary at the house and i cant dig under my niebours garden for the concrete side obvously.

Could i use steel lintals fixed onto my house brickwork bridging the drainage pipes with the other end on a concrete base/pillar as there is plenty of room further away from house.

I can add pictures tomorrow to help explain situation if need be.

Thank for any help provided.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Hi pal,

Not a completely relevant answer, but I recently built a conservatory using a Durabase system, a steel frame that has legs that sit on top of 300mm^3 concrete pads, thus removing the need for trench foundations.
I had a very simple area to work with so it was ideal. Worked out a little cheaper than having trenches dug and also with very little drying time you can build up very soon after. Less mess too. Good luck

Hi pal,

Not a completely relevant answer, but I recently built a conservatory using a Durabase system, a steel frame that has legs that sit on top of 300mm^3 concrete pads, thus removing the need for trench foundations.
I had a very simple area to work with so it was ideal. Worked out a little cheaper than having trenches dug and also with very little drying time you can build up very soon after. Less mess too.

.....and about a quarter of the quality.

Sponsored Links
Noseall are you talking from experience?

I like to over-engineer and my base was rock- solid. I'm not saying it's a better choice, but on my simple site, it provided a perfect base for full height panels. I didn't like the modular dwarf walls they do, so if you are referring to that, from afar Id agree with you.
But from a foundation POV, given my terraced home, it was far less messy and gave an excellent base. Noggins created for existing drain access, very very sturdy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back