Foundations Worry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have planning permission for a garage and study to be built on to the side of the house. To save money, I have taken on digging the footings myself, by hand. My problem is that the 1930's house is built upon the site of an old victorian refuse tip. To reach firm ground I had to dig an exploratory hole to a depth of 7 feet. I am worried that by excavating to this depth around one side of the house I may undermine its foundations a cause a collapse. Am I best to leave this type of excavation to the experts or do you reckon am I safe to proceed on my own.

Sponsored Links
I would let the professionals do it, you stand too much to loose if you do it

Normally the building inspector would advise you what to do.I have dug 1 metre deep footing right up to my neighbour wall and has to do it in 1.5m section then backfilled with concrete with metal rods ready for the next section to be dug out with the building inspector breathing down my neck! I'm surprised this wasn't mention on your drawing plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back