Four way lighting circuit and four terminal switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a four way lighting circuit, three of the switches are standard Common + L1 + L2, the fourth has four terminals arranged in a square with a wire in each. Is this a special switch and can it be replaced with a standard one? If so, where do the wires go?

Sponsored Links
If you have a 4 way lighting arrangement then two of them should be intermediate switches.
You need one more of these for every no. of switches you go above and including 3 way. 2 way switches are used on the first and last switch.

A 4 way lighting circuit? Do all 4 switches control the same lighting point?
Anyway, the switch with 4 terminals sounds like an intermediate switch, this type of switch is used between 2 x 2way switches to control a particular lighting point with a third switch eg larger landing area's. More intermediate switches can be used for further control.
You won't have 3 x 2way switches and an intermediate controlling the same lighting point though.

Sponsored Links
I've had another look and there are two intermediate switches and MEM do them in their stainless steel range so I'm ok thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back